you can be anything you want to be...except that you can't...

Madelyn, my precious baby, you are 4 months old! I really do feel like the day I gave birth to you was yesterday and a year ago all together. You fit so nicely into our little family. God gave you a gentle, sweet spirit. I can already tell that you and your sister are very different from one another, personality wise, and you've brought a lovely balance with your presence. You're pretty quiet and not an attention seeker, but when we talk to you or look your way you'll quickly start cooing and laughing and it's music to my ears. You are happy and smile with your whole body! And you're a strong gal, too! You've been trying really hard to sit up, and sometimes you push your little legs out in an attempt to stand. I wouldn't be surprised if you're crawling before the year is over! I am soaking up every moment with you because I don't know if another baby will find its way into our family, and if you're my last then I don't want to rush it by any means! You are cuddly, lovable, and have the best cheeks for kissing! I certainly wouldn't mind keeping you in this stage of life a little longer.

We gave you cereal for the first time last night and you didn't hate it. You still love baths, and your daddy gets the best giggles out of you. You're really warming up to Annabeth and any time she looks your way or talks to you, you light up with excitement. And don't let her fool you. She's pretty crazy about you. She refers to you as her baby, and if anyone says otherwise she puts up a fight. She may give you a run for your money over the years but you better believe you have a sister who will make sure you're taken care of! You'll probably always be her baby!

I've been thinking about what I wanted to write you this month, and this topic stems from a trend that is being preached to our culture through a bull horn. Shouted and screamed and forcefully pushed in a way that, honestly, is a total lie. And so what I am about to share with you is something that is counter cultural. Something that I truly believe and will do my best to teach and remind you throughout your lifetime. It's a struggle I find myself fighting because I can easily bend my ear more towards the incessant noise of the world than the quiet wisdom of God. But God is speaking truth to my heart that I want to share with you, and even though this might not come in handy for a few decades, I am certain it's something you'll need to hear because I don't think the culture will let this one go away.

You can be anything you want to be. 

Except that you can't, Madelyn. You cannot be anything you want to be. And before you write me off, thinking I sound like the most pessimistic, dream-smashing mother in town, let me explain. This very statement of "be anything you want" sets us up for extreme disappointment and discontentment. Because here's the thing, as you grow and change, so do your dreams. And so how do you decide which "anything" to pursue and when. It's unrealistic to think that you can always be anything you want to be. It basically tells us, without stating the obvious, that only then, when you are that "thing," will your life be complete. But this is a lie. This little statement right here is what sells books and gives people false hope. That maybe they can follow a pattern or copy someone else and then they, too, can achieve their thing and be satisfied for the rest of their days. But listen up, a pursuit like this just leads you to something else because there's no actual end. Consider star athletes that compete in the Olympics. Their goal is to become the best in their sport and prove it by winning a gold medal and setting the world record. When one of those athletes, who has devoted his or her entire life to doing so, wins a gold medal do you know what typically happens? They want to win more gold medals and do so until they either decide to finally retire or their body quits. I don't know that I've heard one say, "I wanted to be a gold medalist and now that I am, I'm content and fulfilled and I'm finished." Being anything drives us to want to be "something." Something who is someone that others notice, praise, and admire. The best of the best.

Being anything assumes there are no limits. But there are limits. Like if I wanted to be dinosaur, well, too bad. I can't. God didn't make me a dinosaur and I can't do anything about that. And maybe one would like to be an opera singer but can't carry a tune in a bucket. Not going to happen. It's just not in their future, and that is okay. Truth be told, there are A LOT of things I would like to be. And so I think we've got it all wrong by asking ourselves what that "anything" is we want to be. Rather, the question we need to ask is this: "God, what do you want me to be?" That's a question that gets us moving in the right direction to a life of fulfillment and satisfaction, and the good new is that the answer to that question can easily be found throughout God's Holy Word.

I used to think there must be this one thing that God wanted me to be. Like a doctor or a lawyer or a teacher. Something really specific. And so I set out on this pursuit in an attempt to find that thing I felt I wanted to be. What I really wanted to be, without admitting it out loud, was successful and wealthy and admired. And what I soon came to learn is that God was more concerned about who he wanted me to be than who I wanted me to be. So what does God want us to be, you ask? What is the "thing" God calls us to be? Well, here's a small list of a few things God calls us to be.

Peacemaker - If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. - Romans 12:18

Sanctified - For it is God's will that you should be sanctified, that you should avoid sexual immorality, that each of you should learn to control your body in a way that is holy and honorable... for God did not call us to be impure but to live a holy life. - 1 Thessalonians 4:3-4&7

Thankful and prayerful - Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. - 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Submissive - Submit yourself for the Lord's sake to every human authority... for it is God's will that by doing so you should silence the talk of ignorant and foolish people. - 1 Peter 2:13-15

Selfless and humble - Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility, value others higher than yourself. - Philippians 2:3

Light - Let your light shine before others that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in Heaven. - Matthew 5:16

And the list goes on and on. Notice that not one these things is tied to a title or an occupation yet these things form a high calling because they can only truly be achieved with the help of God, not through our own efforts. And when we are so concerned with becoming who we want to be, we often lose sight of who God calls us to be. So, Madelyn, in a world where we can be "anything," the best thing we can choose to be is a child of God and a devoted follower of Christ.

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is. His good, pleasing, and perfect will." - Romans 12:2



Comments

Popular Posts