Reason #946

Tonight had a hint of nostalgia to it. It was filled with memories from years ago. Memories from a really good time in my life. Memories that are years old but don't quite seem like it.

I was really involved in the college ministry at my church when I was a student. College is such a pivotal time in your life, and I often wonder how my life would have turned out had I chosen differently. The good thing was that I didn't know anything but church. Growing up, my parents had me in church every time the doors were open, so that was the norm for me. I know a lot of kids complain about having to go to church, and I know a lot of parents get tired of feeling like they're dragging their kids to church, but keep dragging them. You're doing the right thing, even if they don't agree with you. One day they'll grow up and they'll be thankful that you exposed them to the truth rather than letting them sink in an ocean of lies. If you leave it up to the world to teach them about God, they'll learn all the wrong things. The world isn't going to instill faith in them, that's your job. Anyway, I didn't wait to find a church home when I started college. I didn't take a little sabbatical or a walk on the wild side. I did what I had always done. I went to church, and I am so thankful that I did.

Every Thursday night at 8:00PM the church held a service for college students called Paradigm. This was always the highlight of my week. It didn't matter how busy my schedule was or what I had going on, I made a point to be there. And tonight, I had the opportunity to go to Paradigm as an alum. Aaron and I met the group of students that we're getting to mentor this year, and we decided we'd spend some time with them this evening so we could get to know them. As we visited about school and got to hear about how God is using them, I couldn't help but think back to the days I was in their shoes. I can still remember the excitement to serve. How I felt so humbled and surprised that the Lord would allow me the opportunity to do so. I thought about how quickly that time went by, and I thought about how grateful I am for all of those years. Because little did I know that the things I went through in college would be the very things the Lord would use to prepare me for what He's asked me to do now. I didn't think that I'd be on the other side of the equation, but I realize that God began planting those desires in my heart years ago so that they'd have time to grow and develop for the things He had in store down the road. Had I never fallen in love with the college ministry as a student, I probably wouldn't be as eager to serve in the college ministry as an alum. But the Lord knew where life would take me. He knew where I'd end up years later, and I am so grateful for the opportunities He gave me then that prepared me for the opportunities He has given me now.

#946 - For the opportunities He gave me then that prepared me for the ones He has given me now.

"Serve only the Lord your God and fear him alone. Obey his commands, listen to his voice, and cling to him." - Deuteronomy 13:4

Comments

Popular Posts