Reason #949

I got a little carried away watching Youtube videos tonight. You know how that goes. You click on one short little video and the next thing you know, it's two hours later. As I clicked through each video, I landed on bloopers from The Price is Right and it took me back to my summers as a child.

I've never been one to wake up early, so I loved summers. I loved getting to sleep in, and my parents were nice to let me. I never understood those families that made the whole household wake up at the crack of dawn. If you need to milk the cows and gather chicken eggs for breakfast, I can understand intentionally waking up with the sun. Other than that, enjoy your rest. If you wake up early, that means you've got to find extra things to occupy yourself with and fill your time. I never had that problem. On summer days I slept until my eyes popped open, and then I would enjoy breakfast as I watched The Price is Right.

It's good to have sweet memories to think back on. Really, when I think back on my childhood, the whole thing is a sweet memory. But summers were especially good. You only get to be a child for so long, after all, so children should soak it up. They should be allowed to enjoy the years of their youth, and the should be allowed to be children rather than being forced into adulthood years before it actually arrives.

As I watched those video clips this evening, I wondered if I'll have the opportunity to spend summers eating waffles with my kids and watching game shows in the mornings. I wondered if game shows will even exist or if we'll be watching some type of show that has yet to be created. I wondered if I'll have kids that are late sleepers, which I am hoping for, and if they'll even want to spend their mornings with me. But more than that I wondered what the world will look like then. I wondered if my future children, Lord willing I have any, will be able to enjoy the type of childhood I did. Will they get the chance to run around and play outside or ride their bikes through the neighborhood with their friends? Will we be able to take fun summer vacations every year and surprise them with a trop to Disney World? Will my future children be able to maintain some sort of innocence, or will they be forced to grow up years before their time and act like adults in little bitty bodies?

Well, I don't know what my summers will look like from here on out, but I am thankful for all of the good summers from my past. For the waffles my mom would make in the mornings and for fun game shows to watch. I am thankful that I had such a wonderful childhood because I know that is not a guarantee. For the family vacations we took each year, for all of the mornings I got to sleep late, for the neighborhood kids that we played with, and for the fact that I got to be a child as long as necessary. I am thankful that I got to ride my bike to the local convenient store to fill up on candy and Slush Puppies. I am thankful that we could run around freely, without fear of what might happen, because the world was kinder and safer then. I am thankful that I had the innocence and wonderment all children had because I didn't know any different. The world I knew was full of opportunity and goodness, and I think that is the kind of world all children should grow up in.

And so I praise the Lord for those years. For good times that I'll always remember. For blessing me with so many wonderful summers. He didn't have to, and I didn't deserve it, but I am thankful that He allowed it to be that way. And tonight, as August comes to and end, I am thankful to add another great summer to all the ones of the past.

#949 - For giving me a wonderful childhood.

"Then Jesus called for the children and said to the disciples, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children." - Luke 18:16

Comments

Popular Posts