it's not that we can't, it's that the enemy hopes we won't...

Four years ago, I began praying big prayers. Mountain moving prayers. Jesus said if we have faith like a mustard seed, we can move mountains, and I felt like I had a whole storeroom full of them. I was praying in a way I had never prayed before, truly asking and expecting the Lord to answer. And He was. Imagine that. Easy how we forget the truths and promises of His word. Anyway, I began to see the power of prayer unfold before my very eyes, and I realized that it was better to ask the Lord and pray for His will to be done than attempt to force my own.

A few months after I began writing my blog, people would say encouraging little comments like, "You should turn this into a book!" I figured they were just being generous and kind because, well, that's what friends do. But the more I wrote, the more I began to love writing. The book writing encouragement continued on, and I started to wonder if maybe I should begin listening to what others were saying. Maybe they weren't just being nice after all. But I told myself that it was crazy to consider writing a book. For one, there are so many authors in this day and age that my chances were slim to none. Plus, I was just writing to write. I wasn't writing for any other reason aside from the fact that the Lord had laid it on my heart and was using it to show me the truths of His word.

One thousand posts later, I realized that I couldn't stop. God had given me a gift by leading me to write, and I began to pray that He would use it. Of course, this wasn't the first time I had prayed that. Each time I'd write a post, I'd ask the Lord to use it somehow, someway. Maybe it was to encourage someone, or maybe it was a reminder of His redeeming love. But I started praying, "Lord, you know my heart's desires. You know my love for writing. If it's your will, and if this is what you're calling me to do, open up doors of opportunity for me." I have continued to pray that prayer time and time again not sure how the Lord would answer but confident that He would.

I've well learned in life that no matter how much I want something, if it's not the Lord's will for me, it's not going to happen. And trust me, this has been a hard lesson to learn. Proverbs 19:21 says, "You can make plans, but the Lord's purpose will prevail." I have tried to force so many things to occur in my life because it was what I wanted. It didn't take long for my attempts to fail, fizzle out, or for me to end up being miserable. And so the last thing I wanted to do was to try and force anything outside of God's will. If His will was that I keep blogging, great! If it was a book, great! But my prayer was that whatever His will, He would not only make it clear - He would make it possible.

I joined a writing community earlier in the year in an attempt to learn and possibly do some networking. It didn't take long for me to feel overwhelmed, and I thought, "This is impossible! I don't have time to do all of this stuff. Plus, I don't even know how to get started." And so I became discouraged feeling as if maybe I was in over my head. Maybe I was expecting too much, and this was more my will than God's. But I kept praying, I kept asking, and I decided I'd completely take my hands off of this endeavor. If it was God's will,  He would work it out. After all, He didn't need my help anyway. If He could rain down manna, part the Red Sea, make water flow from a rock, and keep shoes in tact for over 40 years, He could work out His plans for my life.

And so two weeks ago, my mom and I went to a women's breakfast at her church. She hadn't ever been before, but she had a desire to go this year. She invited me along, and it worked out that it fell on a day with no other conflicts. We walked into a room full of 400 women, and we realized we were about 30 minutes too late to find a seat. A volunteer told us we could take any open seats, but of course, those are hard to find in a room that size. The volunteer said, "Wait right here. I'll find a few seats for you." A moment later, she waved us over to a table with two open seats. The program began, and they keynote speaker made a comment about a book she had just finished. She gave credit to a woman who had helped her write and publish the book. She mentioned how she wouldn't have been able to do it without the help. She continued to speak, and as I looked around our table, I noticed the nametag of the woman sitting next to my mom. She had the same name as the woman who was mentioned earlier, and I thought to myself, "What are the odds?" Of course, we know in the life of faith, there are no coincidences. Rather, there are divine opportunities. This was one.

The brunch ended, and I leaned over to introduce myself. I told her I had been writing for almost 4 years and the Lord had been giving me a desire to work on a book. I wasn't sure what that looked like, and I didn't even know how to get the ball rolling. I asked if she'd be willing to meet with me and help me understand the process and share some tips. She agreed, and as she responded in her email later that night after reading through my blog, she said, "...it is time for you to write a book."

Who would have thought? Who would have ever guessed that the Lord would lead me to a women's breakfast and sit me next to a woman who publishes books. A woman who lives in my own town. A woman who would be willing to meet with me and give me some guidance on an endeavor that, honestly, seems a little overwhelming at times. Because I've definitely had my moments of thinking, "Who am I to do such a thing? There are so many people who are better at this than me." But she reminded me that when God gives us words to share, truths to speak, the battle begins. Not because we can't, but because the enemy hopes we won't. Yet we know that what is impossible with man is possible with God. And when we allow Him the ability to work, to move, and to create in our lives, according to His will, He does.

And so a new creation will begin. I don't know what that looks like. I don't know when it will be finished. But I am trusting that the Lord will continue to lead me and provide for me every step of the way, as He has thus far. His kingdom come... His will be done.

"Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart." - Psalm 37:4

Comments

  1. So proud of you. All of it. Remember, white milk is better! (That post has stayed with me.) :)Waiting and praying and listening and acting. Cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you. All of it. Remember, white milk is better! (That post has stayed with me.) :)Waiting and praying and listening and acting. Cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you! This will be a blessing to countless people, and I can't wait to read it whenever it's finished! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts