we'll find success if we let God be a part of it...

One year ago yesterday, I reached my 1000 reasons. It was such a milestone of a day. Bittersweet, if I were to try and describe it. I remember setting out on my journey of writing not knowing how in the world I would make it to 1000. I really hadn't ever had a passion for writing before and would have never considered it a calling. It seemed like it was going to take forever to get to 1000, but it passed so quickly. It has come and gone, and a whole year later I find myself marveling at all God has continued to do for me.

I wrote about answered prayers the other night. About the fact that God is not a one and done type of God. He is no hit wonder. He is an active creator, always doing a new thing. And so I have been challenged to allow Him the creativity and freedom to do new things in my life. New things according to His plan and on His timeline. And the truth is, it's kind of hard sometimes because I know where I want to be. I know what I want to do, and yet I know that my plans, if they aren't God's plans, will fail. And so I've been doing my best to delight in His will. To say, "Okay, God, here are my heart's desires. If they're not your heart's desires, then remove them, And if they are, then give me the courage to do them."

I specifically began praying about opportunities to speak and write. I didn't know what those looked like, but I trusted that if God wanted me to do that, He would provide. After all, God parted the Red Sea and rained down manna to provide for His people. I have no doubt that He can make things happen without my help. And so I decided that, for once in my life, I would truly let God open doors should He desire to give me these opportunities. I wasn't going to go into my default mode and try to make things happen on my own.

Aaron and I went to lunch a month ago with the college minister from our church. He talked about having guest speakers at Paradigm, which is a Thursday night college worship service. He said, "We thought about bringing a woman in to speak to the students. They hear from me all the time, so I think it's nice for them to occasionally hear from another person with a different perspective. We've look at some different speakers like Jen Hatmaker, but I thought maybe we should use someone local. Would you be interested?" First of all, the fact that I was getting chosen over Jen Hatmaker was a shocker in itself. Of course, I also live here and don't charge a fee for my services, so that might have very well had something to do with the decision. (And ironically enough, she was actually in Lubbock this week... according to Facebook.) Anyway, I couldn't believe that I was getting this opportunity. This is what I had been praying for. I gladly accepted and then began to get a little nervous when I realized I would have to come up with something more than a 20 minute Sunday School lesson. And so I began praying that God would help me just like He has with everything else He has entrusted to me.

"Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:6-7

I stood in front of I don't know how many people tonight and I shared what God is, has been, and I'm sure will always be continuing to teach me. I wasn't really nervous or afraid, but I was certainly aware of my weaknesses. Anytime you stand before people, you take a risk. They may hate your message, you may forget everything you planned as you stare into the abyss of faces, you might trip or accidentally say a word you didn't mean to say, or you may completely mess up the whole thing. I didn't want to be the "um" girl standing up there saying things that made little to no sense, but more than that, I really didn't want to misrepresent the Lord or His word. And so I prayed, and I prayed some more, and I asked for some of my friends to pray for me, and as I walked into the stage, I felt it. Peace. The peace that surpasses all understanding. I had my notes in front of me, but the words began to flow from my mouth as if I had actually memorized them. There wasn't a butterfly one in my stomach. And I was reminded that this is how life goes when we allow God to chart our steps. It may mean that we take a risk, it may mean that we put ourselves out there a bit or do something that's out of our comfort zone. It may mean that we have to be stretched, challenged, or even pushed to our limits. But we'll find success if we allow God to be a part of it. When we give Him the opportunity to work through us, He does. Because God doesn't need professionals to accomplish His will. He doesn't need the A-Team or the cream of the crop to get His message across. He simply needs willing hands and feet. Willing hearts that will submit to His ways.

I sat down when I was finished, and Aaron reached over to give me a hug. He leaned in and said, "You did a great job! That was phenomenal." But the truth is, God did a great job. He is phenomenal!  

You, Lord, are forgiving and good,
    abounding in love to all who call to you.
 Hear my prayer, Lord;
    listen to my cry for mercy.
When I am in distress, I call to you,
    because you answer me.
 Among the gods there is none like you, Lord;
    no deeds can compare with yours.
All the nations you have made
    will come and worship before you, Lord;
    they will bring glory to your name.
 For you are great and do marvelous deeds;
    you alone are God.
 
- Psalm 86:5-10

Comments

Popular Posts