the little children...

I didn't think they would let me do it. I was a divorced woman, which is not the usual qualifications for a Sunday School teacher. But I couldn't find a place where I fit in. I knew there had to be a spot for me, and I couldn't be the only person in Lubbock who felt this way. And so after months of tears and prayers, the Lord said, "Then you do it. Be the one to start it." And they let me. And I did. That was 8 years ago.

I taught the class with a friend for about a year and then Aaron and I kept teaching after we married. A year or so in, God moved us on from that group and I really wasn't okay with it. I was pretty upset and frustrated by the whole transition, but we had prayed through it and felt that we needed to serve wholeheartedly in the college ministry. God used that Sunday School class to save me in many ways. It pulled me out of my darkest season and proved to me that God can use anyone who is willing despite our failures and weaknesses. And so leaving that group was especially difficult, but as it turned out, we quickly fell in love with the college ministry. The students were fantastic! They were eager and hungry, and we were, too. Aaron and I had not only developed a passion for teaching God's word, but we loved teaching it together. We went on mission trip with them, we had them over to our home, we mentored, went on numerous coffee dates, and we formed relationships with people we'll never forget. In fact, one of my sweetest friends came from my season in the college ministry. But we had a baby and things changed. We served as best as we could but nap time and bed time and sheer exhaustion limited our availability. We knew that when our second child came along, it was time to step back because we didn't want to do a sub-par job. We wanted to fully invest and give 100%, and this season of life wasn't going to allow that.

How would God continue to use our gift of teaching? We aren't the best Bible teachers in the world, but God has given us a passion and love for it. We were reluctant to give up our college class because it didn't seem that God had another spot for us to serve in that capacity. Over my three decades in church, I have learned that coming to church on a weekly basis is a blessing. But I've really learned that those serving inside the walls of the church on a regular basis receive a double portion. I think we forget that our service to God happens inside and outside of the church walls. And so we prayed and we asked God to open doors. Show us where there was a need and how we could use our gifts for his service. Little did we know, God would open very unexpected doors.

Aaron was invited to step into a teaching rotation in the very same class we left years ago. This was not anything we had planned or had foreseen coming his way, and I was so grateful God provided that opportunity. I realize that there are many different views on women teaching within the church. And here's the deal, I'm not going to argue it one way or another. I'm also not going to force my personal opinions on others. When the class was initially formed, and when we taught in the college, people came knowing full well that I would be teaching alongside Aaron. That wasn't the case this time around, and the last thing I wanted to do was rock the boat. I was okay with the fact that I wasn't teaching with Aaron, but I wasn't okay with the fact that I wasn't serving in some way - especially knowing the great needs within my church. A church of over a 1000 people shouldn't have to beg for volunteers. Honestly, a church of any size shouldn't have to beg. If anything, the church should have a problem of having too many people who are willing to serve. More than they know what to do with. But our church was in desperate need of help in the children's ministry, and that was the very last place I planned to serve.

I spend all day with my children every single day. And I've never worked with children on a regular basis aside from my own. I once tried subbing when I was in college and quickly decided that wasn't for me. I'm not the woman who asks to hold others' babies or is the first to get down on the floor and play with children at a social setting. I love my children deeply. Fiercely. But I told Aaron, "I am not going to do that! I need a break from being around little people so I can fellowship with people my own age and church is exactly that. Plus, I'm serving in other ways." But the Holy Spirit wouldn't let up. The need for help was gnawing away at my heart and I did not want to give in. "Fine," I thought. "I'll go ahead and sign up to volunteer for one Sunday but that's it. I'm not doing more than one Sunday because every parent needs to step up and sign up per the request. It's our duty." And so I signed up to help over Labor Day weekend, thinking that would be the best time because we always have low crowds on holidays. That would be my one and only week to serve in the chidren's ministry on Sunday mornings, at least I thought it would be.

I read over the little lesson the night before my dutiful day of voluntary service, and as I stood in the bathroom blow drying my hair, God laid these words, straight from the mouth of Jesus, on my heart:

"I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven...and whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me...see to it that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven." - Matthew 18: 3, 5, & 10

This morning I taught my first class of two year olds, and it was fantastic! I've often heard (and quite understand) the phrase, "The only children I love are my own." Just about every parent feels this way. But you know who loves our children even more than we do? God. Jesus. The one who created them, and the one who died for their sins. Our children are a bunch of unsaved sinners who need to hear the good news of the gospel. They are not Christians because they are raised in a Christian home. I pray each day that my girls will call upon the name of the Lord and be saved. And so I am teaching them about God at home, but they should be learning about God at church, too. And we should never assume children are learning about God at home... even if they are coming to church. Sunday School is a prime opportunity to share the gospel. To plant seeds of truth in little hearts. To be a safe and loving place where they know they can come each week and find rest and peace. A consistent good in their week. A holy place.

In Matthew 25 Jesus tells a parable about the least of these. The people who often go overlooked and underestimated. Those who, seemingly, provide little value to society. Those who often take but can't give in return. And children are the least of these. A population group who is being murdered by the millions each year before they ever have a chance to take a breath. We have a foster care system that is overflowing with children. Children who have been exploited and abused and assaulted by people they know and trust. A population group who is underestimated so often. They're little, what could they know? How much could a little person learn, anyway? There will be time for that. A time when they can get it and understand it. But the truth is, it's the littlest hearts that are most mold-able and the softest towards Jesus. It's the little hearts that are the most fertile ground.

"People were bringing babies to Jesus to have him touch them. When the disciples saw this, they rebuked them. But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." - Luke 18:15-17


Comments

Popular Posts