Because He uses and re-uses us so that nothing is wasted...

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.” 
- John 6:12
 
Gather the pieces. Sometimes, that's all your left with in life. The pieces. The pieces of a broken heart, of disappointment, of shame and regret. Shattered dreams and expectations, and you wonder how it came to this. Not long ago, you were happily feasting on abundance. It was smooth sailing, just as you had planned. But now you're left with the pieces, nothing whole, and you wonder what to do with them.

Jesus had multiplied the fish and the loaves so that everyone could eat. A miracle indeed. He took nothing and made much from it. But there were leftovers. He could have thrown them out. He could have said, "Toss those leftovers. No body wants them. I can make more later if we need it," But Jesus was concerned about those leftovers. Those pieces of fish and bread that didn't get eaten. That food that had gone either untouched or overlooked. It may have even been the small pieces. The pieces that were picked over because no body wanted them. But Jesus certainly did. He saw purpose and benefit in those leftovers and He made sure they were gathered up. Jesus didn't want anything He created going to waste.

When I started out on my journey a little over 3 years ago, I never knew how God would use it. The truth is, I felt like I was left with a whole bunch of pieces. Leftovers that no one would want. I never knew what He would do with my life. I had no idea how He would work it out or what the end result would look like. I never imagined the number of women I'd cross paths with who would be walking through similar circumstances. But I've received emails from sweet girls whose worlds have been shattered. Sweet girls who prayed and waited for the ones they would spend their rest of their lives with only to be faced with heartbreak a short time into their marriage journey. And I know how they feel. I read their words and I have to fight back tears because I begin to feel their pain. I think back and I remind myself what it was like. I try to remember those days, even though it isn't easy, because I think vulnerability and authenticity are the best ways to relate. I remember looking around and wondering if everything would just be thrown away. What good was it? What good was I? But Jesus gathered me up because He had a purpose.

Occasionally, they've asked how I did it. How did I move forward? How did I handle the shame and disappointment. And my answer is Jesus. Jesus held me together on the days I felt I was falling apart. And somehow, He'd insert comfort into indescribable pain. And even when I felt lonely, He'd find a way to give me company. And when I felt weak, He'd bestow on me incredible amounts of strength. And little by little, He carried me through it. As I tell them of His goodness, I remember what all He did for me. As I talk about my redemption, I'm forced to relive the process. And I think about the songs, the scripture, and the encouragement that He'd put before me. Each one ingrained into my mind because when Jesus speaks to you, you don't forget it. And I figure everything is for a reason, and not just a one time reason, either.

And so I sent a song to a sweet girl tonight. I've been praying for her. Praying that Jesus would comfort her and love on her just like He did me. He laid a song on my heart to share with her, but I hadn't found the time to send it her way. I finally did tonight. The song is titled 'Nothing is Wasted.' Because I wanted to remind her that He sees her. I wanted her to be reminded that He will take care of her. And I wanted her to remember that He will use this for greater purposes. And she replied, "This is unbelievable. I took this screen shot yesterday to keep on my phone. It's from a devotional I read." And across the screen were the words 'NOTHING IS WASTED.'

Thank you, Jesus, that nothing is wasted. Thank you for using and re-using us. Thank you that your love is so evident and abundant. Thank you for gathering us up so that our lives aren't wasted. And thank you for reminding me, once again, of your goodness!

Comments

Popular Posts