Even our own lives aren't about us...

“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot."
- Matthew 5:13

I forget that life is not about me. Even my own life… it’s not about me. But I won’t lie, sometimes I wish it was. And the truth is, sometimes I think that it is. That the only thing that matters is me. The only thing that matters is how I feel, what I think, or what I want. I forget that Jesus didn’t place me on this earth, give me breath and life, so that I could live for myself. So that I could be served. So that I could feed my flesh and grow my pride. I remember that Jesus placed me here to serve Him, to serve those around me, and to live a life that reflects Him.
 
We are called to be salt. The salt of the earth. I’ve recently started praying that for myself. In the midst of my selfish prayers, as I talk on and on and on about myself, I keep coming to the realization that I am not here for me. Seems like I am since I am walking around in my skin, feeling my feelings, and thinking my thoughts. But I am not here for me, I am here for Jesus. I am here to be salt. To be the flavor of God’s mercy and grace to people who desperately need to taste it. To flavor the world, or at least those I come into contact with on a daily basis, with compassion, kindness, and forgiveness. But I forget that my life is to be a fragrant offering to the Lord and I want to be served. Every inch of my flesh wants to be selfish and prideful and irritable. I want to be recognized and acknowledged, and let’s be honest, praised. I want to serve in spurts and then I want to be done. As if true service is a one time thing. True service, God honoring service, Jesus reflecting service, is a lifestyle.
 
And so I am remembering this fact today. The fact that I don’t live life for me as much as I am led to believe that I do... or as much as my flesh wants to. That Jesus set the example when He came to serve rather than to be served. That Jesus has called me to a life of effort. A life of intentionality. A life that requires living beyond myself. A life that gives rather than a life that lives for receiving. Because even though it feels we’re serving others, we’re really serving Jesus. We do it for Him. And we do it so that other’s see our good deeds and glorify our Father in Heaven.  
 
"In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Comments

Popular Posts