Help - all you have to do is ask for it...

The end of me isn't far. It doesn't take long to get there. And I have found the older I get the shorter the distance. Maybe it's because when you're younger, you don't try to be so independent. You count on others to help you, to do things for you. You let them because, well, sometimes you don't really have the option. But you grow up and you find that there is more to do and more to be responsible for. You find that much is required of you, depending on your circumstances, and sometimes it doesn't take long to realize you just can't do it on your own - at least, not well.

Saturday mornings are good for long showers. I am pretty certain I used every single product I had in there just to drag out the time. I stood with my face under the tiny streams of water because the warmth made me feel better. Relaxed. I don't know what it is about warm water, but it helps. Stressed, sick, tired, confused - a warm shower can turn things around. I began to pray even though I felt like I didn't have the right words. "Lord, help me." It was honest and necessary. Because I had come to a point where I realized I just can't rely on my own strength. When I do, it seems that failure is the result. I simply cannot do this thing, this crazy, chaotic, thing called life, on my own. Even the things that are easy, the things that should be effortless, are futile efforts in my hands. And for a girl who is very independent and self-sufficient, it's a hard realization. Coming to the end of one's self is never an easy discovery.

As the streams of warm water ran down my face, these words came to mind. "I look up to the mountains—does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth!" (Psalm 121:1-2) Help, from the one who made the heavens and the earth and every thing that exists in them. Help, from the one who is in complete control. From the one who sees it all, the beginning and the end. Help, from the one who never sleeps nor slumbers. From the one who is our refuge, our strength, our provision, and our hope. Help from the one who can meet all of our needs. The one who never fails us, never abandons us, never forsakes us. If the Lord can make the heavens and the earth, if He can hold them in His hands and be all of these things for us and to us, then there certainly isn't a thing He can't help us with.

All you have to do is ask. Those who ask receive. So thank you, Lord, for being my helper. My ever present help in time of need. Thank you for understanding and not expecting me to do it all on my own. I need your help. We need your help. Thank you for always offering it freely.

"Because you are my helper, I sing for joy in the shadow of your wings. I cling to you; your strong right hand holds me securely." - Psalm 63:7-8

Comments

Popular Posts