You can't have the best of both worlds... that I know of...

You cannot have the best of both world. You simply can't. At least, that is what I am learning. If someone else has figured out a way to achieve this, please let me know. Because the older I am getting, the more this realization sinks in.

I think the problem with age is that you slowly convert from being a dreamer to a realist. You get it. You begin to understand how the world works, not how you thought it worked. And you see that your plans, although well thought out, aren't as possible as you once imagined they were. It's either give and take, or give up and take up. Finding that balance, that ability to successfully, and enjoyably, manage operating in both worlds becomes increasingly difficult if not impossible.

It seems like the moment the Lord sets my feet on a new path and begins to teach me a new lesson, it quickly becomes applicable to every aspect of my life. Of course, I guess that should be the case if we've allowed the Lord the opportunity to reside in every aspect of our lives. But it doesn't necessarily mean it's easy. And lately, the Lord has been bringing me to a point of decision. Of having to decide. Of having to pick, which is never fun when both options are what your heart desires. Because for so long, I felt like all of my decisions were being made for me. Like I didn't have a say in the matter. And now, the tables have turned and it seems like I've been given the opportunity to decide.

Being a girl who has rarely had trouble making a decision in the past, this has become a challenge for me. Because I fear that I will choose wrong. Well, I fear that I will make a decision and then wish I would have gone the other direction. Both directions are equally good. From my perspective, I can't tell if one really is better than the other. But I know full well that once I've decided, there's no going back to what was.

And so I want the best of both worlds. I want to try to somehow, someway make it work according to my plan. But I remember those divinely familiar words, the wisdom He spoke through Isaiah when He said, "See, I am doing a new thing..." That maybe I don't need the best of both worlds, but I need the best of a new world. One He is creating, specifically designing, Who knows what it's going to look like. I highly doubt it'll be anything like I would expect. But I know that when I'm living it, I'll forget about the past. I'll forget about what was because I'll be wrapped up in what is. Whatever that may be.

He is always doing something new. Always. And what a blessing it is to be able to have a part in it...regardless of who made the choice.

"See, the former things have taken place, and new things I declare; before they spring into being I announce them to you." - Isaiah 42:9

Comments

Popular Posts