Conviction versus Condemnation...

Aaron and I taught our first Life Group today. We had no idea what to expect. For the type-A organizers like myself, that can bring a little anxiety. We didn't know how many people would attend our Life Group, we didn't know the personalities that would be present, in fact, we were certain we wouldn't know most people in the room. And that was the case. We had a room full of college kids, most of whom we were meeting for the first time today, that will hopefully come back next week. We planned a lesson on condemnation versus conviction because we're going to be tackling some tough topics this semester with the Lord's help. We wanted to set the foundation for the students. To let them know that we weren't there to judge them, but that doesn't mean they may not feel that way as the enemy has an impeccable way of taking God's truth and distorting it into lies that we tend to believe. We wanted them to know that conviction is a good thing, a necessary thing. That conviction is what changes our lives and transforms us into the image of Christ. And the best way to share how we have learned to decipher between the two was to share our testimonies of how God has shown us His truths when we were standing knee-deep in the enemy's lies.

This week was a real struggle. My frustration levels were high and my self-esteem was low. I drove to work each morning and as I had the time to myself, condemnation would set in. The accusations were flying, and I would start thinking, "What am I doing? Do I really think I can do this? Me, of all people? I'm going to try and be an example to a group of college students, share my wisdom with them, and I can't even make it lunch without messing up. I'll never get there. I'll never be to the spot I should be. I'm kidding myself to think that God could use me in all of my imperfections. There are so many others who would do a better job. Nicer, kinder, gentler people. I have so far to go. I should be the one sitting and learning, not the one leading." And despite the condemnation falling on my heart, I would pray, "God, prepare us for Sunday. Give us wisdom and insight so that we can be a good representation of you and of the Gospel. Speak truth through us. Truth and comfort and encouragement."

Friday morning it hit me. Friday morning the truth finally clicked. I was receiving the lesson before I would be teaching it. Condemnation. Romans 8:1 says, "For there is NO condemnation for those in Christ." Because "Jesus came not to condemn the world. but to save it." (John 3:17) And I remembered that condemnation isn't from God. No where in God's word does it say things like, "You are too broken beyond use. I could never redeem your life. You are worthless. You should be ashamed of yourself. You are an embarrassment. You have no purpose." In fact,  God's word says the complete opposite but we have a hard time believing it, don't we? We have a hard time believing that a holy, perfect, righteous God could love and use a sinful person. We have a hard time believing that God's plans aren't thwarted by our mistakes and failures. We put too much stock in our fragile selves and not enough in our mighty, everlasting, never changing God. And I remembered that apart from Christ, I truly can do nothing, but with Him, all things are possible.

Condemnation is accusation from the enemy. It simply shows you the problem. No solution, just the problem. It turns our eyes away from Christ and on to ourselves, and it leads us down a path that pulls us away from God. It causes us to doubt ourselves, to doubt God, to doubt the work of the Holy Spirit. It reminds us of our frailty, and it leads to death. Death of our self-esteem, of joy, of relationships, of abundant life. But conviction from the Holy Spirit show us the problem and then leads us to the solution. To Christ. To the redeeming blood Jesus. It shows us truth and sets our feet on the right path. It reminds us that while we're sinners, Christ died for us and that nothing can stand in the way of His redeeming love.

And so it's important that we believe God's truth over the enemy's lies. That we gravitate to His Holy Word when we begin to feel low about ourselves rather than towards the downward spiral of deception. That we cling to His promises even if they may be hard to believe. And that we listen more to what He says than what any other voice may say.

"The Lord will rescue his servants; no one who takes refuge in him will be condemned." - Psalm 34:22

Comments

Popular Posts