what about them?

They had spent a few years together. Ministering side by side, he had seen Jesus perform miracle after miracle. This time, however, it was a miracle unlike any other. He had just witnessed his friend, the Savior, the Messiah, being tried and sentenced to death. Having hung on a cross and been buried in a tomb, here was the resurrected Lord. Jesus in the flesh. Peter in the flesh. Walking side by side just as they had for years.

Peter had been through a lot with Jesus. There was that time he walked on water. That was pretty awesome! Then there was the time he had been quick to cut the ear off of one of the soldiers who had come to arrest Jesus. Not one of his better decisions. And there was that evening when he denied being a disciple. Probably a moment that replayed in his mind over and over again. One of his biggest regrets. And yet Jesus had shown up to meet with Peter. After all Peter had done, in his many imperfections, Jesus wanted to walk with him and talk with him. He wanted to remind Peter that he loved him. After all, he promised that Peter would be the rock on which the church was built. Peter? Really?

Peter glanced behind them as they walked and there was John. He was one of the other disciples. Sure, they were a close group of men, but they were also humans. Humans who were fragile and struggled with curiosity of the unknown. And as Jesus began telling Peter a little more about what his future held Peter asked, "What about him, Lord?" (John 21:21)

What about them?

Isn't that the question we so often find ourselves asking? What about her, Lord? What are you going to do with her life, her family, her career? What about him, God? What do you have in store for his future? Is it anything like mine? Is it better? Is it worse?

What about them?

What is it about them that makes them so popular? What is it about them that makes them so successful? What is it about them that makes them so desirable? So attractive? So fortunate? So noticeable? So _________ ?

But Jesus looked at Peter and said, "... what is that to you? You follow me." (John 21:22)

Peter don't concern yourself with the plan I have for John. I have a plan for him just as I have a plan for you. No plan better, no plan worse. Each one divinely inspired with its ups and downs - it's mountains and valleys. Not because anyone is perfect or good or deserving but because I am good. Because I love you. And because I care about you, I have a plan for your life - all of it. A plan that only you can fulfill. Long before you existed, I numbered your days and recorded their details. I've charted your path. It's not John's path. It's Peter's path. So you follow me. I know where I'm leading you. I am your Good Shepherd. Don't worry what's behind you, don't be anxious about what lies before you, you just keep your eyes on me and I'll talk you to the place I've prepared for you.

What about them? Don't worry about them. You keep your eyes on Jesus. Follow Him. He has a uniquely crafted plan for you, and He'll get you right where He needs you to be.

"He guides me along right paths, bringing glory to his name." - Psalm 23:3

Comments

Popular Posts