when you don't know what to do...

Sometimes I am at a loss for words.

Like right now.

Seriously, right now I am at a loss for words. I am struggling, have been struggling with writer's block for over a week now. I've sat down multiple times to write something, anything, and I just can't get anywhere. This is new territory for me. Usually, the words flow faster than my fingers can move. But I'm struggling right now. Trying to come up with something to say, and the harder I try, the less progress I make.

A few weeks ago, I met up with a sweet college student from my home church. We sat down for a late evening dessert and chat, and truth is, I felt so unprepared. Here's the thing I love about college students, they ask questions. They are looking for answers, and they are curious. But the challenge that comes with these conversations is that I don't always know what to say. Sometimes I have to seriously jog my brain to try and think of a way to help all the while praying that the Lord would impart on me wisdom. As we talked, I felt like I was little to no help. I wished with all my heart that I knew what to say. I was hoping that some divine thought would enter my head and I could give this sweet girl a great piece of Godly advice. But there was nothing. Nothing more than providing a listening ear and sympathizing with her circumstances. We hugged as we parted ways and I told her I would pray for her. I climbed into my car, turned off the radio, and on the drive home I prayed that God would find a way to help this sweet one out because I was at a loss for what to do.

The following afternoon, I received a message from a friend who said, "That college student we saw the other night has really been on my heart. I keep thinking about her, and I don't know if she'd be interested, but I'd love to meet up with her. When I met her, I felt like I was looking at myself." My heart skipped a beat as I texted sweet college girl this message. She emphatically replied that she had been praying the Lord would send someone to encourage her and pour into her life. Clearly, God was answering our prayers. I was so excited that I could hardly contain myself. Had I not been at work, I would have done a little victory dance to celebrate. My heart was overwhelmed as I was watching God's love play out right before my very eyes. I leaned back in my chair, closed my eyes, and whispered, "Thank you, Lord. Thank you for helping in ways only you can do."

God hears our prayers. No matter how many times I see him answer, I still marvel at the fact that the Creator of the universe takes time to listen to our pleas. In Exodus 3, God meets up with Moses to begin discussing the rescue of his people. He tells Moses, "You can be sure I have seen the misery of my people... I have heard their cries... I am aware of their suffering... so I have come to rescue them." And He does. He will. He can. Every time.

I don't know what you need. Maybe you don't know. But God does. And whatever it is, don't give up. Don't doubt. Don't lose faith. Because He sees you. He hears you. He is aware of you. And He will come to your rescue.

"But I will keep on hoping for your help;
    I will praise you more and more.

I will tell everyone about your righteousness.
    All day long I will proclaim your saving power,
    for I am overwhelmed by how much you've done for me.
 I will praise your mighty deeds, O Sovereign Lord.
    I will tell everyone that you alone are just and good."
-Psalm 71:1-16

Comments

Popular Posts