from wondering to worshipping...

There are seasons of unknown. Seasons of waiting. I feel like I write about waiting all the time. I'm sure you can guess what the Lord is, and has been, teaching me for years now. But sometimes the waiting is not as bad as simply not knowing. Sometimes if we could just know, we wouldn't mind waiting. Of course, that's not always the case. Just sometimes.

I am in yet another season of the unknown. This isn't the first time. Honestly, most of life is really lived in the unknown, isn't it? It's a hard season to be in, especially for us planners. When answers are few and quick fixes seem like the best route to take, it's hard to wait. To dwell in the unknown. To be patient and keep trusting the Lord. But this isn't new territory. This is familiar, and I'm thankful that the Lord has given me a boatload of experience to draw from here.

It has been years since I've dwelt in the unknown. Since I've blindly put one foot in front of the other because I literally had no idea where God was leading me or what He had in store. But I kept following. I kept moving forward no matter how uncomfortable or scary it seemed because I knew that it was the only direction to go if I was going to stay up with God. If I was going to keep in step, try to match His stride, turning around or standing still wouldn't work. But with the unknown came difficulties. There were moments of fear and worry. Days when my brain would think up every worst possible scenario and convince me that it was the only option. There were occasions when I would throw my hands up and say, "Okay, Lord, what's going on here? If you could just make it clear. If you could just let me know. Anything... anything would be helpful." But sometimes the only way out of the unknown is the passage of time, and of course, you know what that means... waiting.

Scripture tells us that one day we will see in full what we now see in part. And here's the beauty of following Jesus, sometimes we get to put some of the pieces come together before we get to Heaven. Sometimes we look back and we say, "Ah, it makes sense now. I see what you were doing there, Lord! Thanks so much for having a good plan and not giving up on me." Because there will come a day when we will know. Maybe not as much as we'd like, or as soon as we were hoping, but that day will come where we transition from not knowing to finally knowing. From wondering to worshipping.

And so I'm dwelling in the unknown. Not forever, just for a little while longer. But I am choosing to enjoy it. To patiently wait it out. To soak it up as I remind myself that this stage won't last forever, and when it ends, I'll never get it back. Because knowing changes the game, doesn't it? The answers can bring with it a whole new set of responsibilities and tasks. And so until then, I'm dwelling in the mystery and thankful that I serve a God who is all knowing. A God who has all the answers. A God who can be trusted regardless of how much or how little He chooses to reveal. And we look forward to finding out. To seeing what He has in store. And as we wonder, we will worship.

"I am the one who answers your prayers and cares for you. I am like a tree that is always green; all your fruit comes from me. Let those who are wise understand these things. Let those with discernment listen carefully. The paths of the Lord are true and right, and righteous people live by walking in them." - Hosea 14:8-9

Comments

Popular Posts