in places unexpected...

I had a conversation about children a few months after Aaron and I got married. I was sitting in a hotel lobby in Orlando, Florida having a conversation with his boss's wife. We were getting to know one another as we visited over muffins and coffee. As seems to be the case when women talk, we got on the subject of children. I told her that I was afraid to bring children into the world. That I wasn't sure if it was a good idea considering the direction things were going. I just wondered what kind of world they would grow up in. I knew it would be drastically different than the one in which I was raised, and I just didn't know if that would be fair to them. I'll never forget what she told me. She said, "Brittnye, you have to have children. You have to bring forth light in darkness. You've got to raise God-fearing children to carry forward the message of Christ to future generations. If all of God's people decided that the world was too dark of a place to continue bringing forth new life, how would anyone ever know the truth?"

After spending a few minutes reading the headlines last night and realizing that I would be voting for our next president a few weeks after my sweet baby is born, I began to feel highly discouraged. I know people say things like, "You don't need to worry about that. You don't need to be afraid. This world isn't you home." And that's absolutely true. The Bible tells us not to worry or fear as it reminds us that we're passing through as foreigners, but I think it's okay to be concerned. In fact, I think we should be. I think our hearts should break as we see our country belt out "God bless America" all the while defiantly shaking our fists in His face as we run in wild obedience away from all He stands for. I think we should mourn over the sin in our lives and in our land. That we should pray for forgiveness. Ask for healing. I certainly think it matters.

But sometimes it just seems too dark. Too far gone to turn this ship back around. Sometimes it seems like our efforts won't matter, that they won't even make a dent. And I just wonder what's next. What does God have in store? How will His people ever be able to bring about change in a place where they're rapidly becoming more and more of a minority?

I read through Philippians last night, and I came across a verse I had never taken the time to notice or appreciate. As Paul is sitting in a Roman prison, he writes a letter to the church at Philippi and ends it by saying, "Give my greetings to each of God’s holy people—all who belong to Christ Jesus. The brothers who are with me send you their greetings. And all the rest of God’s people send you greetings, too, especially those in Caesar’s household." (Philippians 4:21-22)

Especially those in Caesar's household. Those who serve in the palace. The government workers. Maybe the government officials. Romans weren't know for being a people of Godly character and faith. In fact, they had a brutal reputation. Just watch Gladiator and you'll get a glimpse of the Roman culture. And yet God divinely placed his people in Caesar's household. A place unexpected. God divinely places all of His people no matter how wanted or unwanted they might be. God has called us to serve in certain places at certain times. To be born into certain eras, in certain regions, into certain situations because God has a purpose and God has a plan and no efforts of man will ever derail it.

But we can't ever assume. We can't assume that they people we live around, work with, and interact with on a regular basis know that we're a child of God. We also can't assume that they are, too. We must tell them and we must show them. We must live our lives according to His word and be certain that they know the reason behind our choices. Not because we're "good people." Not because we're from the Bible belt and are really conservative. But because we serve the one true God. The living God. The God who saves, who redeems, who forgives, and who restores. And when we begin to feel like it doesn't matter. That we're too small. That our efforts aren't noticed and trying won't make a difference, we remember that God simply calls us to be light and to keep on being light. To keep doing what He's called us to do in the places He's called us to be at the time He has appointed for us to do so, and He'll take care of the rest.

“You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father." - Matthew 5:14-16

Comments

Popular Posts