work, work, work, work, work....

Two years ago today I started a new job. It was a long time coming and a sweet answer to a recurring prayer. Because if you remember, I had my "dream job." I had a job I loved so much, and worked for what I liked to believe was the best bank in the world, that I never wanted it to end. It's probably an underestimation to say that I was more than devastated when the bank was bought out and my job, while not obsolete, changed drastically. And so I was pretty certain I'd never again have a job that I loved and enjoyed near as much. But God was faithful, and through a series of small adventures, I finally ended back up in a similar job while meeting a lot of incredible people along the way.

The first year of my current employment flew by. It was an intense learning experience, to say the least. I was stretched and challenged to grow in so many ways, and thankfully I had a boss who really helped me get there. And so after year one rolled around, I felt like I finally had my feet underneath me. I was more confident, comfortable, and assured, and I really felt like I knew what I was doing. I knew year two would bring about new experiences and changes as well, and I wondered what all I'd face in the coming 365 days.

Well year two has rolled around, and I've learned a lot. A lot about people. God has been more than gracious to give me an incredible group of women to work with. Women who are fun to be around. Women who are like-minded, who are smart, and who are very efficient. Unfortunately, women are given a bad wrap in the work place, and I can't say that it has been unfairly assigned. I've worked in plenty of female dominated environments along-side women who feed the stereotype, and so it truly is a small miracle when a group of women can spend 40 hours a week together and authentically love and enjoy one another. But more than teaching me about people this year, God has been teaching me about myself, and the number one lesson has been humility.

There is no such thing as a perfect job. I feel like my job is pretty darn close, and yet it comes with plenty of challenging days. Days where I come home and simply tell Aaron, "I don't want to talk about work today" and days where I have all sorts of things to share. And so sometimes we tend to think that not only will we find a perfect job, but that our perfect job will meet all of our selfish needs. And for me, my selfish need is recognition.

Earlier in the year, someone nominated me for a little award that is given out on a monthly basis if someone goes above and beyond their job. Now, before I finish this story, let me preface it by saying I don't think people should be awarded for doing their job or going above and beyond their job. At the end of the day, we're being paid to contribute and help improve our workplaces - at least, that's how we should see it - and continued employment is the reward for a job well done. But one of the auditors was really kind to write in about something I had done that had absolutely nothing to do with my job and gave me a little praise for not only taking the initiative to identify a weakness and figure out the whole process, but for taking on a completely new responsibility. I really appreciated that she acknowledged what I did, as no one else said anything, and in front of a small group of people, the nomination was read and I was given a small award. The award, however, we broken and so I didn't actually get to take it with me. No big deal, I thought to myself. As with every other award, I'll get my picture taken and put in the newsletter as proof. But that didn't happen either. And so my team never knew I got the award, as they were not informed of it and telling them would have been odd, nor did anyone else outside of that meeting. And as I look at my work, and as I look at all that has evolved since I began this endeavor two years ago, I realize that it goes unnoticed. Well, not that it goes unnoticed. It is definitely noticed, but no one knows who did it or someone else gets recognized for it.

I began thinking about this the other day as I was feeling particularly slighted. That's the beauty of selfishness, huh? You can get carried away with it quickly. And the more I thought about it, the more I realized that God has been teaching me many things about humility this year. I know I've said this before, but I am usually writing it in reference to marriage. And so now I'm going to say it in reference to work. It's not about you. That's right. It's not. You are part of the puzzle. You are a piece. And your job is to do your job well no matter who knows, who sees, or who does or doesn't pat you on the back for it. Your job is to work, to contribute, to make positive changes. And if you get recognized - great! And if you don't, that doesn't mean your work is any less significant. Because when you signed on to do whatever it is you're doing, you agreed to do it well. After all, the Lord calls us to work at whatever it is we do as if we're working for Him, and at the end of the day, a job well done is what brings glory to God. A job or a title doesn't define who you are. It doesn't make you any less or more important in His eyes. God cares about you - about your character, about your ethics, and about your integrity. Those are the things that matter to Him.

So contribute. Make a difference. Leave the place better than you found it. And as you work, enjoy the fruits of your labor. Maybe it's not always the work itself, maybe it's those you work with. Maybe it's the fact that you've got a job and that means you can pay your bills and put food on the table. Or maybe, it's that God has you right where you are to teach you something you'd never learn otherwise. Whatever it is you're doing, work hard and work well.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might..." - Ecclesiastes 9:10


Comments

Popular Posts