what I hope for you...

Annabeth, we dedicated you at church this morning. I know you're probably wondering what that means. Basically, we stood in front of our church family and promised to raise you in a Godly home. We made that decision far before you were born, but it's always nice to back up those personal decisions with public professions. Plus, it's biblical. Jesus' parents dedicated him as a baby, and as Christ followers, we figure that if Jesus did it, we need to as well.

The first Sunday you were born was spent in the hospital. The next two were rough, as being a first time parent is pretty much one of the most taxing and confusing tasks known to humankind. Also, the recovery from a c-section is a little difficult, too. But by week 4 I finally felt like we could venture out of the house to church. The weeks before, you and I sat in bed and watched the service on my phone, but there's a significant difference between watching church and actually attending church. I couldn't wait to get back to church, and every week since then you've been to church. So, here we are almost 7 months later and you are more than familiar with church. There's no question of whether or not we're going each week. That's where we spend Sunday's in our household, and since you're a part of this family, that means you go with us. Because here's the thing Annabeth. I have to stand face to face with the Lord one day and give an account for my life. I have to give an account for the words I said, for the decisions I made, for the actions I performed, and I have to give an account for the way I raised you. And so will your dad. And so we are choosing to raise you in church. To be an active part of the body. Not to just go faithfully and invest completely so we can check off some self-obliged box, but because Christ has called us to. And by planting seeds of truth, by immersing you in an environment of sound doctrine and teaching, and by living it out at home, our prayer is that you choose to know and follow Christ, to commit your life to Him, and to honor Him in all your ways. 

That's my biggest hope and prayer for you as your mother, Annabeth. There is no other decision that you will make in your lifetime that is as important as this one. And I am constantly praying that even now, as we sing little songs to you, as we pray together as family, as you are loved on at church, and as you hear our conversations, that your heart is being softened towards that Lord. That He is working and moving and that you are sensitive to the calling of His spirit. That you'll choose to live for Him early on in life. That you'll always honor that decision, never wavering from it, and that it will shape everything about you. That's what I want most. 

But there are some other things I hope for you. I think every parent has expectations for their child, and I'm trying to keep mine realistic... and minimal. I'm trying to focus on the things that really matter and let go of the things that don't. Because, sweet girl, that's exactly what I want you to be. A genuinely sweet girl. I want you to be a person of great character. A girl who is truly, authentically kind. Who cares about others and who sees the good not only in people, but in life. A girl who is considerate, thoughtful, inclusive. One that can be trusted all the time. A girl who treats people the same to their face as she does behind their back. One who will stand up for the underdog. A girl who speaks truth and a girl who speaks life. Our words have great power, Annabeth, and as a female, you'll come to learn that. Words can be a real struggle. But I hope that you're one of those girls whose words build up and never tear down. Who chooses her words wisely, regardless of who they are said to. A girl who lines her life up with God's Word. Who clings to His truth, shares it, defends it, and lives it. A girl who stands by her convictions, who cares more about pleasing God than man, but spreads His love in every thing she does. And I realize that so many of the things I am hoping for you start with me.

Because it's my job to teach you, Annebeth. Truthfully, as a parent, and often as a Christ follower, we like to enact the "do as I say, not as I do," rule. But we all know how ineffective that is. We know that people don't remember what we say as much as they remember what we do. And if I hope for you to be all of those things, then I have to show you what that looks like. I can't hope that you'll speak words of life if you hear me tearing others down. I can't hope that you'll always see the good in life if I am quick to be cynical and criticize. I can't hope that you'll be a defender of truth if I choose to compromise and stay quiet. How can I hope to raise a daughter who can be trusted all the time if I am always one to tell everything I know? 

At the end of your life, Annabeth, no one will care what clothes you wore. Your outfits will never make an eternal impact on the people around you. Your shirt won't encourage them and your shoes won't share the gospel. No one will care about your hair, about the awards you won, the amount of money you had, where you lived, or what car you drove. All of those things are temporary and will fade away. But your actions, your words, your influence, and your witness will live long after you're gone. Those are the things people will remember. Those are the things that will changes lives and leave lasting impressions. And that's why I hope these things for you. 

I hope them for myself, too. 

"Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God." - Titus 2:3-5

Comments

Popular Posts