you'll just know...

I stood in the church pew with tear filled eyes. The congregation sang the closing hymn for the invitation. It was probably "Just As I Am" or "Wherever He Leads I'll Go." I don't remember the music but I remember how I felt. Seven years old and it was the first time in my life I was sure of it. The feeling, the calling, it compelled me to walk down the aisle. It drew me in and I knew in that moment that I had to make the most important decision of my life. I couldn't resist it. I was overwhelmed by the power of it. The Holy Spirit. Knocking, calling. It was His grace, His mercy, a story of redemption was the offer and all I had to do was simply take it. That was the night I gave my heart to Jesus. The night I accepted Him as my Savior.

Eighteen years later I stood in the parlor of the chapel. A quarter of a century old and my life had taken turns and twists that somehow landed me in this divinely orchestrated moment. Because for the past 18 years I tried my best to follow Him. To live my life in a way that honored and pleased Him. I had trusted Him in the darkest moments and deepest valleys where I learned more about Him than I had known in those 18 years prior. I had done my best to be faithful but I made my fair share of mistakes, giving pride and fear the driver's seat and getting myself way off track. But He heard my cries and saw my plight. And He didn't give up on me despite my continual efforts of pursuing my own agenda over His plans. Lovingly, He put me back on the path, right where I needed to be. And standing at the back of the chapel, my heart was overwhelmed with joy and gratitude. I was about to walk down the aisle again to make a life changing decision. I had been given an offer and it was mine to accept. I still remember the way I felt. This was a moment I had looked forward to for a long time. One I had prayed for, asked for, longed for, and honestly, didn't really think would happen. But I knew without a shadow of a doubt that I was making one of the best decisions of my life. And I knew the only reason I was standing behind those doors, clothed in white, was because of God's grace, mercy, and redemption. And that night I gave my hand to husband and pledged forever. That night I became Aaron's bride.

"You'll just know." I had heard it over and over and over again. When you meet the right one, you'll know. And I knew. Not because of the way he looked, the job he had, or the amount of money in his pockets. I knew because of who he was. Because of his heart. Because of his character. Because all I heard about him were praises. I knew because his love for God spilled out in everything he did. I knew because he was different, different in a good way. The way he made me feel. Loved, secure, peaceful, joyful. No one could offer me what he brought to the table and no one would ever hold a candle to him. And when you find a good thing like that, you sure don't let it go! I'm so thankful that 24 years ago, 7 year old Brittnye "just knew." She was right. It was true! And that pivotal moment in my hometown church began the journey that landed me behind those chapel doors 6 years ago so I could walk down to aisle to marry the one I knew, without a doubt, He chose for me.


Comments

Popular Posts