God gave... and God still gives...

I am trekking my way though the Old Testament... still. I know, I've been blogging about my journey through the bible for over two years now. You'd think I'd be close to finishing. In fact, by this point, I should have read it cover to cover at least twice. But as it is, I'm still working my way through each God-breathed, Spirit-inspired page of the Holy Word, and the beauty of it is that no matter how many times I've read a passage, no matter how familiar with the story I am, I still learn something new.

I started the book of Daniel last night. I know the story of Daniel well. If you're like me, you're probably quite familiar with the Veggie Tales version. If you haven't seen that one, it's worth checking out. Anyway, I've heard the story of Daniel hundreds of times. In fact, I can still see the Sunday School poster of him resting on a friendly lion in the lion's den as a Heavenly light shines down on the pair... as if that's even realistic. But that's another story.

As I began reading through the first few chapters of Daniel last night, I started to notice some repetition in the verses.

"Now God had given the chief of staff both respect and affection for Daniel." - Daniel 1:9

"God gave these four young men an unusual aptitude for understanding every aspect of literature and wisdom. And God gave Daniel the special ability to interpret the meanings of visions and dreams." - Daniel 1:17

"I thank and praise you, God of my ancestors, for you have given me wisdom and strength." - Daniel 2:23


God gave.

Daniel and his friends had been taken into captivity. All of the sudden, everything they knew was no more and they were thrown into a completely new culture. New things were expected of them, new things were required of them. And I just have to believe, that like all big changes in life, they must have felt overwhelmed. They probably thought, "How are we ever going to adjust? How are we ever going to get through this?" And yet God gave. Every time Daniel needed something, God supplied. The things that seemed impossible became possible. The things no one else could do, he could. Sure Daniel was strong, healthy, and good looking according to chapter 1, but that wasn't where his success came from. Daniel wasn't able to charm his way into luck or make things happen by using force and strength. Daniel's power came from his generous God. Daniel found everything he needed because God faithfully supplied, and I only wonder what all we could accomplish if we'd simply turn to God and receive what He has to give rather than trying to do life on our own.

Do you need rest? Do you need comfort? Do you need help or relief? Do you need guidance, protection, wisdom, or strength? Could you use some support, some courage, some peace? How about love, acceptance, forgiveness, a second chance? Ask God, the God who gives. The one who holds it all, possesses it all. The God who is so generous, so full of goodness and mercy, that He withholds no good thing from His children. If you don't have it, ask Him. Go to Him, to your Father, your Provider, and seek what you need. Not what you want, which is often easier to ask for, but seek what you need. Seek the things that honor God. The things that will draw you closer to Him and further the work of His kingdom. He stands ready to give. Hands open, God is there to help. There when we need Him. He's ready, prepared to handle any thing that comes our way whether or not we are.

Thank you, Lord, for giving us exactly what we need when we need it.

Comments

Popular Posts