God's redemption means our past failures do not dictate our future opportunities...

Four years ago, this blog didn't exist. Four years ago, my world had yet to be turned upside down. I was mere weeks away from entering into the darkest season of my life, but I had no idea. I was just living life. I was working, I was existing, I was going through the routine. The motions. I never knew that my plans were about to be shattered. I wasn't aware of the pain that awaited me. I had no clue that my life was going to be catapulted into chaos, despair, complete confusion. Four years ago, I didn't really understand what true redemption looked like.

No one plans for tragedy. Life wouldn't really be worth living if we knew of all of the difficulties that would come our way. And, although they're never welcomed, maybe it's better that we don't know what to expect. Maybe it is better that they catch us off guard. Sure, at the time we wished we would have known. We are tempted to think that if we had a heads up, we might could avoid it all together. But that's not how life works. The good, the bad, both will happen. But the beauty of being a child of God is that regardless of which one comes, God was fully aware of it. He knew about it. And He has a plan to use it.

But maybe you're like me. Maybe you feel a little un-useable. Maybe you look at yourself, like I've often done, and you just wonder how God could use you. When Aaron and I first got married, we went to a marriage class at our church. We LOVED it. I am pretty certain my husband loves being married more than any man I've ever met. How lucky am I? Anyway, we soaked up the words we were hearing each week, and we'd discuss them for hours on end. Both of us had a strong desire to have a beautiful marriage, and Aaron would often make comments about how maybe we could help other young couples in their marriages one day. I'd keep my thoughts to myself because I didn't want to sound like Debbie-Downer, but I kind thought it was a crazy idea. Aaron, sure, he'd be an awesome person to talk about marriage. But me? Really? With my past?

But I was wrong. I was underestimating God. I was forgetting about redemption. I wasn't remembering how God took a man whose life goal was to kill as many Christians as possible and had him write most of the New Testament and become one of the greatest disciples of Christ known to man. If God could do that, he could certainly redeem my life and equip me to serve along side my husband... even when it came to marriage stuff.

And so if you want to know what God's continuous redemption looks like for me, it looks like this. It's the opportunity to use the words He has given me, the experiences and wisdom, to write a contributing article for a marriage website. (http://www.marriageroots.com/the-couple-that-vacays-together-stays-together/) It's the opportunity to meet with a precious young couple who are walking through engagement and helping them prepare for marriage. It's standing next to my husband on Sunday mornings, sitting next to him on Sunday nights, and talking to college kids about life... and marriage, because they're all headed in that direction sooner than later. It's remembering that our past failures do not dictate our future opportunities.

God is a God of redemption. Not just one-time redemption. Day by day, hour by hour, redemption. And He has a plan to use it all. The good, the bad, the ugly. If we allow Him to, if we don't let the shame and disgrace pull us back, He will find a purpose for it.

"I have swept away your offenses like a cloud, your sins like the morning mist. Return to me, for I have redeemed you." - Isaiah 44:22

Comments

Popular Posts