less opinions and more prayer...

This month has worn me out. Seriously! I have been spent a few days in an airport for the past 3 weeks, and as glamorous as I used to think traveling for work was, I've learned that it's not. The moment I leave town, I'm ready to be home. In fact, I was really upset my last trip out. I love being home with Aaron and Scout, so anytime away from them makes my heart sad. I used to think it odd when people would say things like that, but I totally get it. I guess that's what love does, right? At least, it should.

I've tried really hard to not be a paranoid preggo because, let's face it, no one enjoys being around "that" new mom. She's about as much fun as bridezilla. And so I have not educated myself on pregnancy other than knowing Sugar Bug's size. Aside from that, I'm just figuring it out as I go. If I have questions, I ask a trusted source or implement logic and intuition. So far, this has served me well. Because I knew I would be traveling a bit, I wondered if it was okay to go through the TSA body scanners. After a few questions and a smidge of research, I decided I would opt-out of the body scanner. You know that that means. I received a good ol' pat down, which really wasn't that big of a deal. Every time the TSA agent would rub their hands over my stomach, they'd make a sweet comment. That's one thing I've really loved about pregnancy. People just light up the moment you tell them you're expecting. I had one agent rub her hands over my belly and say, "Hi there sweet little baby!" And each time I would tell them how far along I was, they would congratulate me or say things like, "You take good care of yourself and that baby!" And that's exactly what I plan to do.

If you've followed the news at all over the past few weeks, you know that death has been a prevalent headline. Whether it be terrorism, tragedies, or abortion, there has been a whole lot of death. A lot of devastation. Many lives lost, some not yet lived. All from decisions that I don't understand. And so as I would pass the time waiting on planes, I would read comments and opinions and blog posts about what should happen, who should do what, and how things could be better if _________. Of course, I'd be lying if I said I don't have an opinion. You bet I do. And I bet you already know my opinions without me stating them. And so I won't. Because my opinions don't matter. In fact, no one's opinions are really making a difference. They're causing division, hurt, resentment. And while we're all entitled to our opinions, we have to be careful about how and when we share them. After all, I'm fairly certain that I have yet to see anyone switch their view point because of a strongly worded, well stated opinion.

I sat in the airport, as an expectant mom, realizing that Sugar Bug and I could easily be one of those affected by the headlines. She, depending on my decision, and me, depending on another's decision. And I wanted to say something. To share a comment, a thought, feeling as if I was entitled to because I believe that I really understand. And maybe I don't or maybe I do. And maybe my opinions are absolutely valid, or maybe they're not. But as I shut my phone off to keep from saying something that would probably only add fuel to the fire, the Lord whispered to me, "Pray about these things. You don't have to understand them. You don't have to try and convince anyone of anything. You just pray for these people. Let your heart hurt just as mine does. And remember that I know all things and I hold all things."

Let's face it, we don't really need more laws. Just like Israel, the more laws they had, the more they broke. The same goes for us. Restrictions and rules don't stop determination. You and I both know that. If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way to make it happen. And although man continues to try as hard as possible to change minds with logic and arguments, we simply can't do it. We can't make people think anything. We can't make them do anything. We can reason with them all day, throw statistics their way, but minds that are closed and hearts that are hard will refuse to accept truth. And so we have to change our tactics. We have to remember that the one who changes hearts is the One who makes them. The One who allows them to beat every day. He's the one who convicts, who softens, and who pierces them with truth. His words are the words that shed light into the darkness. Words that give life where death lingers. Words that bring hope into hopelessness. He is the one who brings good from what was intended to harm, who directs ours steps, who calms our storms, and who gives us purpose. And so more than laws, we need Jesus. We need soft hearts, opened minds, unveiled eyes, and ears that are willing to hear. And when we don't know exactly what to say, we know what to do. Bow our heads, close our eyes, and offer up prayers. Prayers for people we may never meet. Prayers for people who may not even want them but desperately need them. Prayers for hearts that will soften, hearts that will break. And prayers that when it's time to say something, He'll give us the right words to say.

"What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the Lord our God is near us whenever we pray to him?" - Deuteronomy 4:7

Comments

Popular Posts