she gets it from her momma...

At 21 weeks in utero, I learned that my little lady is beginning to taste the things I am eating. She's learning how to swallow, so she's getting her first taste of food. The first time I felt her move was after eating Pie Bar, so I'm thinking she might have a sweet tooth. But I wondered if maybe I should start eating more vegetables. In stead of french fries, I should opt for broccoli. Rather than ice cream, carrots. Because if she's eating what I'm eating, then I should be a bit more careful about what I consume. And as I have thought about this fact, I am amazed at how much of an effect I already have on her little life.

Our choices are never just our own no matter how much the enemy tricks us into believing that. The choices and decisions we make have an impact on those around us, and although I might claim that I can do whatever I want because it's my body, I know that's not the case. The moment I realized another person was beginning to form, I knew I had to make wise decisions because I understood how fragile new life is. And what's more, she's depending on me. Sweet girl is completely helpless, and while I'm letting her borrow my stomach for three fourths of a year, she has a body, too. And if you ask me, as her mother, it's my responsibility to care for her body as much as I care for mine. In fact, even more. Because let me tell you, the body I had before she showed up is not the same body I have right now. And even if her body is tiny and small, and even if she has yet to take a breath or feel the sun on her skin, her body is fearfully and wonderfully made, and she most definitely matters.

The older I get, the more people tell me that I look like my mom. We have a lot of the same features, and I keep wondering what my daughter will look like. I wonder if she'll have my pale skin or my big eyes. I wonder if she'll have her dad's long legs or his nose. I wonder if she'll be short like me, or if she'll be lean like her dad. Will she like to read, will she be musically inclined? What will she get from her momma?

I can tell you a hundred things I would change about myself if I could. I can tell you the things I don't like, and honestly, I struggle with finding things that I do. I can spout off my flaws without having to stop and think, and as I have come to realize that while this little girl may get many things from her momma, I want her to always think she is beautiful. When she looks in the mirror, I want her to see that she is treasured and valued and that there is more to life than looks. She is more than what's on the outside because true beauty comes from within. And when I talk about myself, when I am critical about the way I look, about my body's changes, I don't communicate that message. When I tear myself down, when I pick apart the physical traits God gave me, I'm not practicing what I preach.

Sugar Bug, you're beautiful. I look at your sonogram picture every day, and I can't get over how precious you are. And I know you probably think I "have" to say that because I'm your mom. I used to tell that to your grandparents when they would give me a compliment, but I want you to know that I certainly don't have to say that. Neither did they. But you, you're beautiful because you are created in the image of God. And I can't wait to see what you look like! He has intentionally crafted and designed you. You are one of a kind, and you are the only you. While we may, or may not, look alike, you are unique. God has given you the exact color of skin, eyes, and hair that best suits you. He may have covered your little cheeks in freckles, or He might give you hair so curly that it can't be tamed. He may surround your eyes with the longest of lashes, or He might stick super long toes on the end of your feet. But whatever He does, it's not a mistake. God has a beautiful, detailed plan for your life, even down to the number of hairs on your head.

And so this world will put a lot of pressure on you. This world will tell you that you need to look one way or another. But God's word will tell you that the body you have is a gift. A gift that should be treated well, a gift that should be respected, and a gift that should be used to honor Him. And if there's one thing you happen to get from your momma, then I hope it's learning how to love yourself. Because that's what I want to teach you. That's what I hope to model for you. And when you start to forget how to do that, I'll be there to remind you.

"So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them." - Genesis 1:27

Comments

Popular Posts