me, myself, and I...

God's messages are so timely. Especially if we're willing to listen. If we're willing to keep our ears open and our memories sharp. Because there's a lot of noise. A lot of voices competing for our attention. But God's voice finds a way in at just the right time to whisper truths in our ears that we desperately need to hear.

Aaron and I taught from the book of Nehemiah on Sunday. I love, love, love walking through scripture with our college kids because they have unique perspectives. Sometimes its easy to read the Bible and only see things from our point of view, but when we talk about it, we get to hear how others may view the text and how God is speaking to them through his word. Diving into chapter 4 we learned about this man named Sanballat who was really angry that Nehemiah was leading the Jews to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem. He begins to criticize and ridicule their work. He tried in many ways to stop their work through intimidation, fear, and discouragement, but Nehemiah wouldn't have it. And so I asked them to put themselves in Sanballat's shoes. Let's be honest here, no one wants to be the "bad guy." No one likes to identify with that person or even admit that they might. But beneath our lovely layers that we've carefully placed on top for show, we know there can be some messy parts. We know that none of us are perfect or even well intended the majority of the time. Because we have a game plan, we have a mission, ulterior motives, and a lot of times the unwelcomed interruptions or encroachments on said plans only brings out the worst in us.

I asked them why, when we see people doing big things, awesome things, carrying out God appointed tasks, we might respond in anger, negativity, doubt, and ridicule.

Jealousy.

Insecurity.

Selfishness.

Fear.

I agreed. I admitted that I have been a Sanballat plenty of times. Maybe not verbally, but internally. And the truth is, just because we don't say something out loud doesn't make it any better... or right for that matter. But one student said, "I don't necessarily think he's the bad guy. I think he knows what will happen to him in Jerusalem's walls are rebuilt and the Jews gain strength, and so he is doing his job as the enemy. He is doing what he thinks is best for his own sake."

And don't we all?

Me, myself, and I. And today, the three of us were challenged greatly in this lesson that was really meant to focus on leadership and working in unity to serve the Lord and yet turned into something else I needed to hear. But I remembered that we're human, that we're frail and flesh covered, and when we know we shouldn't, then we recognize it and we stop. We lift up prayers of repentance asking for forgiveness, and we choose to be grateful for what God is doing in our own lives. We remember that there is a bigger picture here and that being a Sanballat only makes life miserable for everyone, self included. Because God has all of us in mind. The enemy wants us to forget that, but God remembers each one of us. He sees us. He has a plan and a purpose for us. And if we'll be sure to keep our eyes focused on Him, doing our part and following His plan, then we know that He will work all things out for our good.

"You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar...Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." - Psalm 139:1-2&23-24

Comments

Popular Posts