one and a half...

I couldn't wait for you to turn 6 months old, Annabeth. I knew it would be a turning point for me in the nature of motherhood. Not that anyone told me 6 months was the magic number, but I thought back to my working life and realized that anytime I made a job change it usually took me about 6 months to feel completely adjusted and fully confident in my role. I can't honestly say that much changed at 6 months, but the one thing I can say is that one year ago you turned 6 months old and it sure doesn't seem like that much time has passed.

You have made it to the 1.5 year mark. What in the world?! I may differ from many moms out there, and maybe it's because you're my first, but I look forward to each month with eager anticipation. I am so excited for each milestone you pass. Sure, it does mean you're growing up, but that's the goal of raising children. I love watching you grow, learn new things, and experience more of life. I think seeing the world through your child's eyes in a pretty sweet gift from the Lord.

Your past few weeks have been fast and furious! We are entering into my favorite time of year, which has come with quite a bit of outdoor time. You love being outside! You have a great love for animals, all animals, so that makes our time outdoors even more exciting. Just the sight of birds draws a squeal of joy from your mouth. You recently discovered our neighbor's dog, which looks basically the same as Scout but way more energetic. Daddy showed you how to pet "puh-puh" (as you affectionately call him) under a little hold in the fence. Thankfully, puh-puh is very kind and gentle, and he seems to love you, too. I have found you standing next to the fence numerous times yelling "PUH-PUH" at the top of your lungs. It's so cute that I almost want to change Scout's name to Puh-Puh! You love Scout, too, but you definitely butcher her name each time you call her.

We took you on a little road trip to the zoo during March, and you had the best time. I just knew you'd be amazed at all of the different animals, but the thing that impressed you the most was the tiny train that drove through the zoo. Who would have thought? We did get to feed a giraffe, and you weren't the least bit scared to do so. In fact, I have yet to find anything that scares you. That might be a good or bad thing.

Your street smarts and vocabulary have grown by leaps and bounds. So far, you can clearly say: shoes, soap, water, more, no, yes, yep, this, go, dada, momma, craker (which sounds more like cacka), popcorn (which sounds like ca-corn), cup, car, and you can make a plethora of animal noises. Daddy bought you a little duck for Valentine's Day and you've named her Quack-Quack. Every once in a while you throw out a phrase like, "I see you," "There it is," or "I'm right here." These always catch me off guard! You also love to make the zoom sound for cars. Strangely enough, you are obsessed with our cars. You have developed a sweet habit of taking us by the hand and leading us to your desired destination. We often find ourselves in the garage while you climb around the car. I don't know why you think it's fun,  but it's cheap and easy entertainment so I'm good with that!

It goes without saying that your personality grows by the day, too! You love to make us laugh, and you do so easily! You love to play, play, play, and play. In fact, if I didn't make you take a nap you'd play all day without taking a break. Each month with you gets better and better, sweeter and sweeter, and even more fun than the last. I could go on and on and on, but for the sake of our time, I'll get to my bit of monthly mother wisdom.

I took your bottles away from you this month, and surprisingly, it has been a smooth transition. Honestly, I should have done it earlier but I made excuses for the both of us. Truth is, we all have to grow up, and often times that means we've got to make changes. Changes are never easy but they're good for us. When the Lord decides to bring another baby to our family, I want you to be so far removed from drinking out of a bottle that it's not an issue. Maybe, by then, you can even help me out and take a feeding shift! (Wink, wink!)  Plus, you're not really a baby anymore and I don't need to try to keep you one. One of the reasons I really liked your bottle was that it gave me time to snuggle with you. We developed a nice morning routine that consisted of giving you a bottle to drink while snuggling in bed. I would turn on a show for you to watch and that bought me a good 15 to 20 minute snuggling session. I was afraid that routine might end when the bottle did, but so far you've kept with it.

You didn't really have a choice in the matter, but there will come a day when a change has to be made and you just don't want to go through with it. There have been many seasons in life where I have resisted change. I like routine. I like predictability and was never known to be an advocate of change. At least, not of changes that weren't first approved by me. You and I may differ in this matter because I can already tell that you don't possess a lot of my traits. You're brave and fearless, and I've lived much of my life timid and fearful. And what's more is that I often avoided change because I didn't want to do things differently. It was just easier to take the path of less resistance and keep doing the same ole thing. Why move forward when you're comfortable right where you are?

But right where you are may not be the best place for you to be. Sure, it might be all you know, but God designed us to be a forward moving people. He doesn't call us to live a stagnant life in an ever changing world. God, himself, is always doing a new thing and don't you want to be a part of that? I  think of some of the opportunities I missed over my lifetime simply because it would have required change on my part, and I could just kick myself! I know my missed opportunities were afforded to someone else because God will move forward with his plans whether or not we want to go with him. And if we cling so tightly to what we know, fearful of what a change may bring, then we miss out on the joy that comes when we surrender our ways to his!

And so I want you to know that God will never bring about a change in your life that isn't for the best. He isn't going to spring something on you, or pull the rug out from under you, and then leave you to your own devices to figure it out. Rather, He will walk with you through life's changes, guiding and directing you and providing whatever it is you need each step of the way. Your job is to be obedient and follow Him in faith. He may lead you through the valley, up the mountain, into green pastures, next to quiet waters, or out on to the waves. Who knows what He has in store for you?! But whatever it is, it's worth the change!

"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland." - Isaiah 43:18-19

Comments

Popular Posts