it's not what you do but how you do it...

Annabeth, how are you almost 2 years old? I cannot believe that three months is all that stands between us and your second birthday. Each time I sit down to write to you, I find myself thinking, "This past month was even better than the one before!" It's true! The days with you keep getting sweeter and sweeter.

Honestly, I need to write down all of the things you do and accomplish the moment they happen because they come so quickly and frequently that I can hardly remember them all. Over the last few weeks you've begun singing and dancing quite a bit. You have a great vocabulary and repeat everything we say. You also speak in sentences, which makes communicating with you much easier! You can count to 10 all on your own and kind of sing the ABCs by yourself. I think potty training is right around the corner as you actually tried to use to potty on your own today. It wasn't a total success but you definitely know the logistics. You and I have become thick as thieves and you've turned into quite the momma's girl! I don't know if it's all the time we spend together or the extra snuggling sessions, but I hope it continues.

Your dad and I were asked to teach the Sunday school lesson yesterday morning for the college students. We teach during the fall and spring semesters but always have the summers off. Of course, we were more than happy to do so because teaching God's word is a great privilege! Anyway, we showed up early and spent time visiting with students we hadn't met before. There is a list of questions that people always find themselves answering based on their stage in life. When you're a college student you typically get asked what you're studying and where you're from. The moment you transition out of college, the question is no longer about your major but about your job and where you went to school. "Where do you work?" "What do you do?" And if you're married then the questions about children are quick to follow. And so I am always meeting new people who ask what I do, and when I tell them I don't work but stay home with you I am usually met with two responses: "Oh...." or "Good for you!"  And so yesterday morning I spent time telling people a little about myself and mentioned that I was a mom. One of the students asked where I worked and when I shared that I was a stay at home mom, she said, "Oh, okay. When do you think you'll go back to work?" That's not the first time I've been asked that question. In fact, I was asked that question before I gave birth to you, so considering that's the case, I'm sure it won't be the last.

I thought more about that question today. About how much emphasis is put on jobs, on who we are and what we do. I thought about how work and names and titles become the things that give us our identity, worth, and value. And the truth is, it's easy to let that be the case. I found it much harder than expected when I decided to give up my job to stay home because no one was impressed that I was a stay at home mom. No one was amazed at the fact that I provide 24/7 care for a child, do laundry, cook dinner, and run errands. And the only people who gave me two thumbs up were fellow stay at home moms. Truth be told, I struggled with feeling inadequate. I have one good friend who is a full time stay at home mom and all the rest still work. Some full time, some part time, and some are even in school getting extra degrees. And so I felt like I didn't matter much in the grand scheme of society. I was actually doing less than everyone else, and having once felt valuable, I was allowing myself to feel worthless.

But I want to warn you of the danger that comes with finding your value, worth, and identity in anything other than Christ. You see, sweet girl, when we allow other roles or jobs or people define us, we inevitably end up with an identity crisis on our hands because at some point things will change. Your name will change, your job will change, your appearance will change. There is not a thing in your life that won't change except for the Lord. He's the only one who stays the same. And what I've come to learn is that God really isn't impressed with what we do. I want you to remember that. God isn't impressed with the smartest doctor because He is the great physician. He isn't enamored with the most brilliant scientist because He is the creator of the world. He isn't blown away by the wisest psychologist because He is the mighty counselor. You see where I'm going with this? God isn't impressed by what you do, Annabeth, but by how you do it. No matter what we do, we're called to do that very thing as if we are doing it unto the Lord. And so if that means performing surgery, sweeping floors, teaching students, or raising children, we are to do it in a way that honors the Lord. And that's what is valuable to Him. Serving Christ is how we find our worth. And following Christ is where we find our identity.

Earlier in the year it finally clicked for me. It really doesn't matter if I stay home with you or work in an office. What matters is that whatever I do, I devote it to Christ. He will use it! He will make something of it! Nothing is going to be wasted. Because things will change. You're going to grow up and start school and become your own person. One day you won't need me like you do now and when that time comes, the workforce will be there. But I absolutely love my current job. It's the hardest, most rewarding job I've ever had. And I don't feel the need to explain myself or even come up with a plan for the future because I've chosen to commit this time, time season, to serving God in this way until He changes things. Because if there's one thing I've learned in my thirty years of life, nothing ever stays the same.

You are Annabeth Davis. You are created in the image of God to do good works. Your value comes from Him, not from what you have or what you do. And when you hold on to that truth, when you believe it and embrace it, you'll find the true rest, peace, and security that your heart desires.

Comments

Popular Posts