When life proves to be hard, God proves to be faithful...

I bet you are wondering why in the world I keep writing about life being hard. About fear. About trials and difficulties and all of the sorts. If you're anything like me, you probably assume the worst when people begin to speak in generalities. You begin to wonder. The wheels start spinning and you concoct this elaborate, and probably way off track, idea of what's really going on. And so I feel like I should probably clear the air. I should probably go ahead and say that my marriage is rocking along beautifully, my job is going better than expected (minus being insanely busy), and no dire things have occurred in the Davis household. Truth be told, God continues to bless us immensely more than we could ever deserve. We're healthy, we're happy, but we're not immune from daily struggles.

Life is full of hardships, both big and small. Aaron and I have been working like mad-people these past few weeks. We've stayed late, we've gone in early, and we've worked on the weekends. The only good thing about this insanity is that we can relate to one another. The bad thing is that our stress levels are higher than normal, and the smallest thing can really frustrate us. Aaron woke up extra early on Wednesday morning. He planned to get to the office an hour early so he could have some quiet time to get a few things done before leaving town for the day. I kissed him goodbye as I put on my makeup, and in a few short seconds he was back in our bedroom. He said, "The garage door is broken. We aren't going to be able to get our cars out." Thank you, garage door spring, for choosing to snap in half during the night and derailing our morning. Aaron called his dad for a ride to work, and I texted a co-worker who lives nearby. Thankfully, both were able to pick us up and get us where we needed to be. Yet due to my natural tendencies to worry, I began worrying when the door would get fixed. I worried who would let Scout out during lunch. I worried about how much the repairs would cost. And most of all, I worried about my dad. You see, Wednesday also happened to be the first day my Nana could receive visitors at the nursing home. I prayed that he would have a good visit. That all would go well. And I felt completely out of control knowing that there really wasn't anything I could do to fix the worries of my day.

I received a text message from my in laws at noon. They had gone to check on Scout. They also volunteered to go to meet the repair man at our house so the door could get fixed. I prayed, "Thank you, Lord, for family who is willing to step in when we need a helping hand." I then realized that I had a meeting with my boss and the HR director at 2:00. It has taken us almost two weeks to find a time to meet, and I did not want to have to cancel. I emailed my boss to tell him how my morning had gone and he said, "I'll be near your office for a late lunch today. I'll just swing by and pick you up." And I thought, "Well, that worked out nicely." And then remembered that God works all things out, even the small details. And so my day went off without a hitch, and I couldn't wait until work was over to hear how my dad's meeting went.

I called slightly expecting the worse. I expected to hear that Nana was mad for being left at the nursing home for two weeks without seeing any family. I expected her to cry and be upset and beg my dad to take her with him when he left. I mean, that's what I would have done had it been me. We'd been receiving updates on her, but she was still around strangers. It's always different when you see your family. And so I was nervous for my dad. I wanted his meeting with her to go well. I wanted her to be happy, to be glad to see him, and to behave in a way that wouldn't upset him. After all, this hasn't been the easiest process for him to walk through. He's struggled with the decision that was made, so I didn't want him to see her sad. I didn't want her to take any potential anger out on him. I didn't want her to make him feel guilty or for him to leave questioning if this was the right move. And so I dialed my mom's number, and I said, "Well, how did it go?" She said, to my surprise, "It went really well. She was so happy to see him. They talked for about an hour, and when he got ready to leave, she kissed him goodbye and thanked him for coming to visit her." My heart was so happy it could have burst. And today, I went to visit Nana and we had a nice time.

God is faithful in ALL things. Not just the good things, the easy things, the big things, or the difficult things. He is faithful in all things. Faithful when we can't see it, faithful when we forget to acknowledge it, and faithful when we aren't grateful for it. He is faithful when we aren't. Faithful despite the odds, despite the circumstances, despite our doubts and worries. God is faithful to meet our needs, to be our provider, to hear our prayers, and to answer them. His faithfulness might not come in the form we expect. It may not come at the time we expect it, either. But His faithfulness is great! His faithfulness is ever present. And his faithfulness is never ending.

"For great is your love, higher than the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies." - Psalm 108:4

Comments

Popular Posts