when you know what you want to do, you're just not sure how to get there...

I had gotten to a point in my working life where I was really disappointed. I wasn't where I wanted to be, and I had an idea of where that was. I just wasn't sure how I was going to get there. The real problem was that I had my "dream job" only for it to be taken away through an acquisition, and that made it even harder. Maybe had I never experienced that, never had that opportunity, I wouldn't have known any better. Nevertheless, I remember feeling all sorts of mounting frustrations as I wondered if I would ever find a job that I really did love... again.

I started casually looking for jobs last summer. I was so unhappy in the job I held, and I've learned that being in a job where you're unhappy, underutilized, or unappreciated makes for a miserable life. After all, that's where you spend the majority of your time. But the more I looked, the less I could find. I became even more discouraged because there was no hope for change where I was. I knew I would be stuck there... well, forever. Plus, I had been given my fair share of empty promises so I knew nothing would really change. And so I prayed about it. Unfortunately, that wasn't my first resort, but I eventually came around and realized what I needed to do. I gave it to the Lord, and I decided that I'd be patient and wait for the right opportunity rather than jumping ship for the first available opportunity.

A few weeks later I received an email from a college friend. He said, "I remember that you used to do training, and we're looking for a Training Coordinator at the bank. Do you think you'd be interested?" My eyes nearly popped out of their sockets. Interested? This is exactly what my heart desired. This is what I wanted to do! In fact, this bank was where I began my banking career, and after my first week of teller training 7 years ago, I said, "If I could have any job, I'd like to be a trainer." Little did I know, the Lord would bring me full circle and bless me with the job I felt called to. Of course, isn't that how God works? Anyway, a year ago today, I started my job as the Training Coordinator, and it has been the wildest, most challenging, most rewarding year of my professional life to date.

When I started, I was given the responsibility of managing the department. I had no idea how to even begin "managing" anything (and I'm still learning, trust me). I figured I'd just draw from my own personal experiences and try to implement the things I really appreciated from my previous managers. The things I disliked, I wouldn't do. Easy enough, right? Wrong. I had no idea what managing a department meant. I had no idea how stressful it can be. I was not prepared for the amount of responsibility that was going to be placed in my hands, and I certainly was not prepared for the amount of work or change that I would face in 1 year. Because up until this point, someone had always told me exactly what to do. Someone else was taking the heat, or the praise, for the decisions that were made. I was just the one carrying them out. All of the sudden, I was that person. I was the one who had to make decisions. I was the one who had to answer for them, too. I was given the freedom to "dream big," and that meant "dreaming" without specific instructions. Coming up with answers to very vague questions. Finding solutions for problems that had been long in existence, and making big changes despite the fact that "things have always been done that way."

A few months ago, we made some shifts in the department. We doubled in size, we moved spaces, and we changed roles. I had to fill one position, and I was having no luck. Everyone I approached about applying for it turned me down. No one seemed interested, and I knew it would be a tough one to fill. And so I stressed over it for a few weeks, anxious about what to do, and I finally thought, "No, no more. You don't know who would be a good fit for this job, but the Lord does. Ask him." And so I prayed that God would send the right person. I knew what type of person I needed, I just didn't know where they'd come from. And it was a day later when one of my team mates said, "I just wanted to let you know that so-and-so is going to apply for the open position." I couldn't believe it. She was the perfect fit. I didn't even have to interview her to know that. I knew her personality, her character, her traits would be just what we needed. And the job was filled by the end of the week. Four weeks ago, another position came open, and I knew what to do this time. I wouldn't stress, I would pray, and my new team mate started today. Funny how God really does take care of things when we go to him, isn't it? The Lord has shown me that the most successful management tool I have is not what I learned in business school or what I've read in the management/leadership/ books. It's prayer. That's where I've found the most help, the most success.

And so 365 days later, I look back and I can't believe it. There hasn't been a day that I've regretted taking my job because even on the really stressful, hectic days, I love it. I love the team I work with, and I love getting to do something I'm (strangely) passionate about. I love the challenges that keep me on my toes and require me to push myself more than I ever though possible. I love the fact that I am surrounded by a group of really incredible women who have truly made my job easy. Honestly, they're the ones who keep the ship successfully sailing. I couldn't possibly have it better. I have a boss who not only believes in me and challenges me but also supports me and has my back 100% of the time. And if that weren't enough, I have seen God answer my morning drive prayers in really incredible ways as my team has grown and changed.

One year down, and it's been a big year. But I'm looking forward to year two. A year of, I'm sure, many new changes and challenges. A year that will probably stretch me even more than year one. A year of growth, of learning, and of being refined. And another year to see the Lord answer prayers. Because I have no idea what the next year will bring, but I've learned that when I continue to seek the Lord's help and guidance, He's faithful to provide.

"You make your saving help my shield, and your right hand sustains me; your help has made me great. You provide a broad path for my feet, so that my ankles do not give way." - Psalm 18:35-36

 

Comments

Popular Posts