Reason #773

Every morning for the past few weeks, I've prayed that God would show me my purpose at work. My mom sent me an encouraging little blurb about how God has divinely placed us in our work positions for a reason. Nothing, absolutely nothing, is by chance. But sometimes, I forget that. I'm not out changing the world on a daily basis, or doing work that is impacting the lives of others, and so I have wondered the purpose of why I am where I am every now and then.

One of the things I really love about the bank I work for is their involvement in the community. And not only does the bank get involved, they encourage the employees to get involved as well. We are given lots of opportunities to volunteer, and you know what that means. If anyone asks for a volunteer, I'm one of the firsts to say yes. After all, who doesn't love to get out of the office for a bit to socialize? A change of scenery is always nice, and I always enjoy getting to know my co-workers better.

This weekend the bank sponsored a baseball tournament. I volunteered to go work at the tournament on Friday afternoon. The tournament took place at about 5 or 6 different baseball fields in Lubbock, and there were multiple times that we could sign up to work. I got the schedule and saw that I was going to be working with a co-worker I haven't had many opportunities to interact with. I wondered how it would go. I wondered what we would talk about, or if we'd even talk very much. I'll admit, it's hard for me to not talk, so I hope that we'd have a good conversation. I wondered if we'd have anything in common or if we'd mainly just stick to work conversation. Little did I know, in fact, little did she know, that we had far too much in common.

We talked non-stop for the two and half hours we were out there. We shared about our personal lives, and we both found a connection we never expected. It was a conversation that was relieving. A conversation that was understood. A conversation that was divinely appointed. And when I shared with Aaron how excited I was to have had the afternoon to talk with my co-worker, Aaron said, "I think that's one of the purposes God has you working there."

Sometimes we forget that God doesn't just place us in the work force so that we can simply work. Sure, He has equipped us and given us specific jobs, but a lot of times I have to believe He has us there more for His work than the work that is being done. Maybe He's not as concerned about my auditing skills, which I am trying my best to perfect, as He is about using me. Maybe He is more concerned about placing me in certain conversations, certain situations, and certain people's lives than simply honing my financial skills and increasing my banking knowledge. Because at the end of the day, work is work. Work doesn't change your life, people change your life. Work doesn't offer you hope for better things to come, people share the hope with you. And that's what I have found myself doing more than I have ever expected since I've been there. I'm not even sure of how many conversations God has placed me in simply to just speak of His hope, of His healing power, and of His redeeming grace. But more than that, God has used those people to teach me. To remind me of His goodness. To help me be bold and brave and tell people what He has done for me. To rip away any ounce of shame that was hidden in my heart, and to show me that He's continuing to answer my prayers by using my story to the glory of His name.

#773 - For a place to work and a divine purpose for being there.

"Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say, ‘My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.’" - Isaiah 46:9-10

Comments

Popular Posts