Reason #779

I was asked to judge junior high cheerleading try-outs today. It brought back old memories. These little girls were 7th graders going into 8th grade, so this was their first year to try out. I remember really wanting to be a cheerleader in junior high, but I was pretty confident that I didn't stand much of a chance of making it in 7th grade. I decided to wait a year and weigh my options again at the end of the next year. You've probably noticed I have a fear of rejection, so I don't do anything unless I'm fairly certain it's going to work out. Anyway, the next year the likelihood of my success had increased, so I tried out. Thankfully, I made it, and each year after that, try outs weren't near as scary.

I realized today, as I watched these little girls, that I am twice their age. Of course, some of them looked my age, but that's a different story. Anyway, I watched their nervous little bodies hop out to the middle of the gym floor as they whooped and hollered and waved their hands all over the place. They had practiced their cheers, perfected their jumps, and were ready to perform. Each girl, with a big bow on her head, holding her pony tail securely in place, did her best. It takes a lot of guts to do that, too. Because to these little girls, cheerleading tryouts are a big deal. Almost a make or break you type deal. We grow up, look back, and realize that being a cheerleader isn't going to really make or break you in life, but at the time, it feels like it. Those judges hold the power, and you only hope that they see the talent you have. You hope they'll notice that one thing that makes you stand out, and you hope with all your might that you can win them over. After all, not everyone gets to make it, and you only get one shot a year. And so you practice, you prepare, you perform, and then you wait to see what they thought of you compared to everyone else.

It's not easy to put yourself on display to be judged, especially when being compared to other girls. I remember the feeling. And so as I watched each girl, I tried to really look for her strong points rather than comparing her to the girls that had gone before her. I tried to notice what she was doing right and make note of that. To consider her strengths and rate her well for them rather than just deducting for her weaknesses. I tried my best to watch her face, her poise, her enthusiasm because, having been a cheerleader, I realize what traits are most beneficial to have. Of course there were those girls who just blew the roof off the place because they're super talented, but I didn't expect that from everyone. I just expected them to do their best, and I judged them based on what they did.

I think the Lord looks at us the same way. We realize, or at least I do, that I'm not the best of the best. I'm not the girl who blows the roof off the place. I am not the most talented or the most successful. I don't "wow" people with my abilities, and I don't stand out in amazing ways. Yet when God looks at us, He doesn't focus on that. He doesn't look at us and see all that we can't do or aren't doing perfectly. He knows what we're capable of, He made us. God doesn't watch what the people around us are doing and then compare us to them to see who is more worthy of His time and attention. No, it's not a competition. God is watching us, each one, individually, beaming with pride for what we have done. Proud of us for exercising the abilities He has given us rather than hiding them because we're afraid of taking a risk and putting ourselves out there. Impressed because we are His, not because of what we can do. We stand out to Him, and He notices our strengths. Sure, we may not end up where we hoped, but that doesn't mean He isn't proud of us, that just means He has a different plan for us.

I judged 60 girls today. I don't know how many of them ended making the squad, but I am sure a good number of them spent the latter part of the day in tears. I wish they all could have made it. I know they all wish that, too. But regardless of who did, they should all be proud of themselves for trying. Cheerleader or not, they're still talented, worthy, and beautiful, and I hope they all know that. The same goes for us, too. God sees more than a label, more than a status, He sees His children. Children who are loved, treasured, and valued no matter what they do... or don't do.

#779 - Because He notices our strengths and is proud of our abilities.

"O Lord, what are human beings that you should notice them, mere mortals that you should think about them?" - Psalm 144:3

Comments

Popular Posts