Reason #787

I wrote about Lent a few weeks ago. My intention this year was to add something, which has been well intended since I wrote about it. I've tried, and I've failed. It's only day #17 into Lent and I have absolutely not succeeded, on a daily basis, at doing the one thing I really, really wanted to try to do. I've done a little better at some moments, and I've caught myself often as I was, once again, failing, but this has been harder than I thought. I figured I could easily do this knowing I only had to do it for 40 days. That may have been a lofty goal to set for myself.

I scrubbed the kitchen countertops this afternoon and I thought about the terrible job I have done. I felt really bad about it, too. I was disappointed with myself for not being able to live up to the challenge I had placed before me, and I wondered why I was having such a difficult time. But I thought about Lent. I thought about Jesus in the desert for 40 days, and I thought about what He must have felt like. Obviously, Jesus never failed at anything, but I had to believe that those 40 days were pretty hard. Because it was during those 40 days that temptation sought Him out. It was during those 40 days that Jesus was completely alone. Forty days to endure heat, hunger, thirst, and isolation. Forty days where he would be most vulnerable, and the enemy took the opportunity to attack.

For 40 days, He powered through and didn't give in. Each time the opportunity came up where He could give in, He resisted. For 40 days, He gave the enemy one reason after another as to why He wasn't going to give into temptation, and for 40 days Jesus was victorious.

I know Jesus is perfect, and I know I am not. But as I wondered why I was having such a hard time in my 40 days, I realized it's because, although for 40 days Jesus was tempted with lies, He only believed the truth focused on that. I, on the other hand, struggle with believing the lies and forgetting the truth.

"You can't do this....You're right, I've already failed." But Philippians 4:13 says "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

"Forty days is impossible, just give up... I know, it seems too hard." But Mark 10:27 says “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But not with God. Everything is possible with God.”

"You let everyone down...I know, I'm a disappointment." But Psalm 41:11 says "I know you are pleased with me, for you have not let my enemies triumph over me."

I don't know why Jesus went to the desert. From what I can tell, He was compelled by the Holy Spirit to go. I don't think He went out there to relax or catch a break. I don't think He went out there to have a good time, either. There was a specific reason Jesus went out there, and maybe it was to overcome, to be strengthened, and to bring glory to God's name. After all, that last one was His whole purpose for coming. Jesus' mission was to glorify God with the life He lived, and by doing so, to change the lives of those around Him.

Well, I suppose that's the purpose of 40 days. It's not to be perfect, although I really wish I could be. It's to be changed. To become more like Christ. To depend on His strength in our absolute weakness, and to get back up and keep moving forward even when we fail. Because although we may not get it right every time, He'll keep helping us if we'll keep trying. One day at a time, but only by His power.

#787 - Because He'll keep helping us if we'll keep trying.

"A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil." - Ephesians 6:10-11

Comments

Popular Posts