expose your wounds... He'll heal them...

I cut myself with scissors on Tuesday night. Truthfully, I saw it coming. I should have known better, and about 2 seconds before the scissors stabbed into my finger, I thought, "I better be careful. I'm probably going to cut myself using the scissors this way." I was right. A few seconds of pain and the blood started rising through the small cut on my finger. I washed it off, wrapped a bandage around it, and went on with my evening. It wasn't the worst cut that I've ever had, but it was noticeable. I decided that I had better keep it bandaged and doctored for the next couple of days to ensure some sort of infection didn't set in. After all, with my foot fiasco two weeks ago, I figured caution was the best method for healing.

I washed my hands this morning and I decided it was time to change out my bandage again. I peeled it off my finger, and I noticed that it didn't look any better today than it did on Tuesday. I'm not a medical professional, but I determined that the cut needed some time to breathe. I decided I would keep the bandage off for the day and just see if that helped. Of course, my finger scraped up against everything possible, and there were many moments I wanted to slap a bandage back on it just for comfort. But I noticed that as the cut was being exposed, it was actually healing up faster. The small wound was starting to close up, and even though it didn't feel great, it seemed to be making a difference. I left the bandage off for the rest of the day, and as I sat down to read my bible tonight, I took another look at the cut on my hand. Tender, absolutely, but on the road to recovery. I noticed that the skin was coming together nicely and my little scissor stab was looking more and more like a paper cut.

The healing process is never easy. The bigger the wound the harder it is. The fact of the matter is that we've all been wounded in some way or another. Even though we know it takes certain steps to heal, even though we understand that it isn't instant, we have a hard time walking through the process, don't we? I remember feeling so wounded and the real truth is that the LAST thing I wanted to do was expose my vulnerable wounds. I believed that if I didn't keep them under wraps, if I didn't baby my wounds and bandage them tightly, I would be in even more pain. If I exposed myself, something worse might happen. I couldn't help the cuts that had been made, but I felt that I could at least keep them from getting worse. Yet I got to a point where it hurt so bad, and where I was so tired of walking around wounded, that I knew it was time. It was time to take off that bandage and be healed. It was time to stop nursing my pain and misery, and that meant I had to do something different. I couldn't keep up with the same charade because it wasn't making a difference. It was only delaying the healing process, and so I exposed my wounds, I took them straight to the Healer, and my feet were firmly set on a road to recovery where true healing took place.

So peel of that bandage, and fight the urge to put it back on. Reveal the cuts, the wounds to Him. Because in Jesus we find true healing. We find that the key to recovery lies in His power and His power alone. Sure, there might be days where it still hurts but He will supply the comfort you need to keep going. And there will be moments where it seems like it's taking forever, but His timing is perfect. Because He not only knows how to heal your wounds, He knows how to heal your heart. He knows how to bring true relief and recovery no matter how deep the wound or how long it has been there.

He is your Healer, the one who bore your stripes. Seek Him, He knows exactly what to do.

“Then your salvation will come like the dawn, and your wounds will quickly heal. Your godliness will lead you forward, and the glory of the Lord will protect you from behind. Then when you call, the Lord will answer. ‘Yes, I am here,’ he will quickly reply." - Isaiah 58:8-9

Comments

Popular Posts