I'm not going to lie, this was a tough week...

This was a tough week. Truthfully, I don't have those very often. Maybe a day or 2 here and there, but it's been a long time since I've had a tough week. I was emotionally and spiritually spent, and by the middle of the week I was done. My heart was so discouraged, and all I could do was think negatively about myself. Accusation after accusation flew my way, and I really wasn't prepared for it. I came home on Tuesday afternoon, and I polished off a pan of brownies. It wasn't too long after that the tears began to flow. And I thought to myself, "Why are you crying? This is stupid. You know these things aren't true. You know you're none of that." My sweet husband spoke every word of encouragement to me he possibly could, but I couldn't believe them. I just couldn't. My heart was too overwhelmed to see straight.

There are moments where I just have to ask that God pour out some divine encouragement on me. I never know how He is going to do it, but I've come to realize that it is often through His people. Tuesday night, out of the blue, it began. I didn't see it coming, but the Lord orchestrated it just when I needed it. And it wasn't general encouragement, it was specific. He spoke right to the very core of my heart, knowing just what I needed to hear, and my spirit was lifted.

Wednesday night I had the chance to spend the evening with a group of girlfriend and for 3 hours, I laugh until I cried. They say laughter is good medicine, and I believe it. I left feeling loved and encouraged, and my spirit was lifted.

Thursday morning, I woke up feeling it again. Feeling discouraged and down, and I thought, "Enough is enough." I can't eat that many more brownies and girl's night only comes once a month, so I began to pray. This time, I didn't ask for encouragement, I asked that He would remove my discouragement. That He would replace it with peace and assurance. That He would remind me of the truth, of my worth, of His power, and I felt it. Relief, release, freedom.

Sometimes we have tough weeks. Sometimes they stretch out into months and even seasons. And you know what, it's okay. It's okay to admit that life isn't easy and that sometimes it's disappointing. It's okay to be honest and to ask for help. He is your helper, and no one knows how better to help you than the one who designed you. He promises to give the rest weary. To meet us in those difficult moments with grace and gentleness. To give us exactly what we need, when we need it, and how we need it. We simply have to come, and we have to ask. He will provide.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” - Matthew 11:28-30

Comments

Popular Posts