Because God created you to be you... but the world probably tells you to be something else...

They say you never forget your first love. Well, I’d like to say you never forget your first crush. You know who I’m talking about. That boy that you probably pined over in high school. The cute one who was Mr. Football and FCA Captain and you just thought it couldn’t get any better than him. You passed him in the hall, and you hoped that one day he’d finally come to his senses and ask you on a date. And then you came to realize that although you think it’d be a great match, you’re not any of the things he wants. Rather, you’re you.
 
I had that crush. It lasted for years, too. He knew it, and he took advantage of it. He probably did more damage to my self-image than any other boy I’ve ever known, and whether or not he meant to, it happened. Known for my signature trademark of short, big, blonde hair, he’d asked me,” Do you ever think you’ll grow your hair out?” To be honest, though, I have to say he wasn’t the only boy who asked me that question. I was always certain, from the time I was a little girl, that long hair and beauty were synonymous. I never had long hair, instead, I sported the ever so stylish mushroom cut until middle school. Even then, my hair would hardly grow past my chin, and I was resolved to the fact that I would never be as pretty as I might be if I could have long hair.
 
My dad used to always ask me, “Why do you care what they think about you?” I never had a good answer for that question. I don’t know why I cared, but I did.  I cared a lot about what other people thought of me, and not just physically, either. I’d be lying if I said I no longer do. I’ve always cared, and I’m pretty sure I’ll deal with the thought of other people’s perceptions of me for the rest of my life. I really tried to be the person I believed other’s thought I should be. I didn’t want to disappoint anyone. I didn’t want them to think less of me, and knowing that some did just killed me. I could hardly stand that some people just didn’t like me. No rhyme or reason, at least not that I knew of, they just didn’t. Maybe it was a personality issue. Maybe I just rubbed them the wrong way. Maybe I was simply mis-reading them. Or, maybe I really did something to cause them to dislike me. But I’ve had to learn, over and over again, that I can’t be concerned about what others think of me. I simply have to concern myself with what God thinks of me and being the person He has called me to be.
 
We wouldn’t worry so much about what other’s think of us if we only knew how rarely they do. I can’t tell you how many tears I have shed and how many heart-tugging conversations I’ve had about what I think others might be thinking of me. And no matter how hard I try and change that perceived perception, I’ve rarely found success. That’s the thing about women. We pick up on the little stuff. We read between the lines and listen to the unspoken words. And while we may be on to something, don’t you know that the enemy is also having a hay-day with us? Don’t you know he’s loving every moment we spend thinking about ourselves and beating ourselves up for being, well, ourselves? Don’t you know he is thrilled when we are disappointed in everything about who we are? Because if he can lead us to believe that we’re not good enough, that we’re not loved, that we’re disliked, and that we’ll never be accepted, he can slip in doubt. He can begin to plan seeds of bitterness and resentment, and he can begin to divide. He can begin to burn bridges, break down self-esteem, and destroy our self-worth so much that we’ll end up living our lives trying to please ourselves or others rather than living a life concerned with pleasing God. Don’t let the enemy convince you that you need to be someone other than who God created you to be.
 
My pastor said, “A refusal to be something that God didn’t not create you to be is an act of unfaithfulness to him.” The truth is, the world is going to constantly tell you that you need to be something or someone else. You need to be richer, you need to be more successful. You need to have long hair or shapelier legs. You need to be thinner, you need to be bigger. You need to be more outspoken, you need to keep to yourself. You need to agree with this, and you need to do that. And if we listen to the who the world says we need to be, we’ll soon be lost. We’ll find ourselves frustrated, depressed, and confused. Because we’ll never be “it.” The world has this constant changing mold, and it’s never going to fit anyone. And so rather than listening to what others believe you should be, ask God. “God, who do you say I am? Who did you create me to be?” Because God designed you. He crafted you intentionally and for a specific purpose. He made you, you for a reason. If he wanted you to be someone else, you’d be someone else. But you are you. You are fearfully and wonderfully made in His image. In his never changing, his always constant, image. He used a mold when he created you, and that’s the one you need to worry about fitting. Your God-given mold.
 
Concern yourself with what God thinks of you. At the end of the day, that’s really the only one that matters. And, if you aren’t sure of his thoughts, then ask Him. Search His word, and you’ll soon discover how he feels about you. Live a life that desires to please him. Honor him with who you are. That’s where you’ll find real satisfaction and fulfillment, in fully embracing and being who God created you to be.

"But now, this is what the Lord says— he who created you, Jacob, he who formed you, Israel: “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine." - Isaiah 43:1

Comments

Popular Posts