so you messed up, you made a mistake... who hasn't?

You messed up. You did something you shouldn't have done. You said something that came out the wrong way. You made a mistake.

You're not the only one.

I am a perfectionist. I know a lot of people claim to be perfectionists, and so there must be levels. Assuming there are, I fully believe I operate at the top of the chart... unfortunately. Perfectionism is often my demise. The thing that so easily gets me down. My innate desire to do, well, everything perfectly can be quite a discouragement when life doesn't go as planned. And the problem with being a perfectionist is that the slightest misstep seems monumental.

I think we've covered the truth that God's people mess up not just sometimes, but all the time. God's people are really no different when it comes from people-people as far as our vulnerability and frailty. We're just as inclined to make mistakes as the rest of the world. Being a child of God doesn't give you a super power to keep from making mistakes, but it seems we believe that. And, not only do we believe it, we live like it thus leading the rest of the world to believe that's the case. That's why it's so shocking when Christians mess up. But the only known man who never failed, never sinned, and never made a mistake was Jesus Christ. The perfect one. And so unless you're Jesus, and unless they're Jesus, we must understand that mistakes will be made.

I made a mistake the other day. I did something that, looking back now, I see should have been done differently. The truth is, I didn't really think much about it beforehand. I didn't think it was even a big deal. Well, I was clearly confronted and conviction and regret immediately set in. I began to beat myself up. I began giving myself a serious reprimand for what I had done, and I was not going easy on myself. I was mad. I was so frustrated at myself for not giving a few extra seconds of thought to my decision. I should have known better. I should have been more cautious. I should have been more careful. But I did what I did because I felt passionate about it. I believed it. And, honestly, I still do. But there was a disconnect between what I believed and how it was conveyed, and this little molehill of an incident has morphed into an immoveable mountain in my mind.

And so I stood in church this morning, conviction washing over me as the pastor spoke, and I prayed, "I'm sorry, Lord. I am sorry that I did a really poor job of reflecting your love. I am sorry that I didn't think before I acted. Forgive me and help me to remember this. Help me to always act in a way that points people to the truth and points them to you. That reflects your light and your love. Help me be more like you."

God's people are mistake-makers. I'll be the first to raise my hand and admit that there isn't a day that goes by that I probably couldn't have done better. I can always improve my thoughts, my words, my actions, and my motives. And I know that. Without Jesus' grace and abundant help in my life, I'd be a wreck. I don't want that. I don't want a life riddled with mistakes and regrets. I don't want a life full of poor decisions. But more than anything, I don't want to live a life that disappoints the Lord. I want to do my best to live a life that pleases him.

But I've made mistakes, and I'm certain I'll make more. And with each one, I'll learn. With each one, I'll grow. I'll approach His throne with a heart of repentance, a posture of humility, admitting my wrong-doing, and I'll ask for help. Help to do better next time. Help to not keep making the same mistakes. Help because I clearly can't do it on my own.

And Jesus will give us exactly what we need. Grace and forgiveness. Mercy and abundant love. And He will help us. Help, not so that we can become perfect, no, that'll come another day. But help so that we can do better.

Because I know that I can, and I praise Jesus for not giving up on me.

"Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children. Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God." - Ephesians 5:1-2

Comments

Popular Posts