because we need God... and more of Him...

Every now and then I go back and read some of my old blog posts. I will always be forever grateful that the Lord asked me to begin my writing journey because had I not, I would have forgotten a lot of amazing things He has done for me. I would have forgotten about all of the prayers I prayed, the ways He answered, and the miracles He performed. Not because I wanted to, but because that is human tendency. We forget. We get too wrapped up in what's going on, in our current circumstances, that our minds let go of the past. Of course, we shouldn't live in the past, but we should remember it. After all, they say history repeats itself, and if that's true, we'd be wise to review it as much as we can.

I spoke with a small group about prayer, and the question was, "What happens when we ask and yet we don't receive?" In John 14, Jesus said that we can ask for anything in his name and he will do it. But what about when He doesn't? Or when it seems like He doesn't? And what is "it" anyway? What happens when we ask so specifically for something, making absolutely sure we do so in Jesus' name, and "it" doesn't happen? Well, reading over one of my old posts today, I saw what "it" was. I saw what I was asking for and how I was receiving. It wasn't how I was expecting. In fact, I didn't quite see "it" at the time. But I look back and I see "it" so clearly now. When we ask for "it" we better be prepared and keep our eyes open because God's response will rarely come in the form we're asking for.

God sees deep into our hearts. Deeper that we could ever understand or even begin to comprehend. He sees what we really want, what we really need, because a lot of times we don't know that that is. We try our best to put our finger on it, to express is it in our own human terms and limited perspective. Yet God knows in full what we know in part. And often times, the things we ask for don't meet the real need that exists. They are things in which we think will meet that deep seeded need. Objects, people, opportunities. Tangible things that we can see, experience, feel. And we think that maybe if we can get those things in our life, we'll be complete. But the absence of those things isn't what we really need. What we really need is God. More of Him.

I've come to learn that the "it" is the answer. The fact that God, the King of Kings and Creator of the Universe, hears, sees, and answers us is the "it." Maybe we feel like our prayers are going unnoticed. That they aren't making a difference or are returning void. But I don't believe in unanswered prayers. I believe God answers each one in His time. Because the whole purpose of prayer is to draw us closer to God. And when we ask for things that don't draw us closer to Him, the best thing He can tell us is no. Not because we wants to see us suffer, but because He has more to offer us than any temporal thing of this world. He knows exactly how to meet our needs, and it's not always through another person, job, opportunity, or object. It's through His Son, His Word, and His Spirit. In His presence, we find exactly what we need when we need it.

"Ask and it shall be given to you. Seek and you shall find. Knock and the door shall be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives. Everyone who seeks finds. And to the one who knocks, the door will be opened." - Matthew 7:7-8

Comments

Popular Posts