remember God's faithfulness and anticipate His promises...

This has been the first weekend in months that we've had no plans. Usually, our weekends fly by, but this one has taken its sweet time, and it has been fabulous! I probably could have spent more time being productive, but I decided that it'd be more enjoyable if I relaxed. We all deserve a little time off every now and then, and this was it for us.

Today was the first Sunday of Advent, and the pastor spoke about the hope we have because of Christ. About the fact that because we have placed our hope in Him, we are filled with peace and with joy. And yet this is a time of year where peace and joy are often only found painted on ornaments hanging on our trees. Spend an hour at the mall, and you'll see what I am talking about. But it should be a season where we stop and we remember God's faithfulness. When we are reminded of the fact that God loved... loves... us so much that He sent His son to take away our sins. And the beautiful sign of God's faithfulness lay wrapped in cloth in a manger 2000 years ago. The answer to prayers, the solution to the problem. God's faithfulness stepped down from Heaven's throne, humbly took on human form, and fulfilled God's promise of salvation.

But we tend to forget, and I have found myself back in a season of remembering God's faithfulness and anticipating His promises of what's to come. It wasn't that long ago that I was here, in fact. It's still so clear, so vivid. I can re-live every moment if I try. And I remember seeing God's faithfulness and yet having no idea what was in store. I just knew God had a plan. I didn't know how that plan would play out. I didn't know what the next step was. But I wasn't worried because I was so consumed by His faithfulness that I truly believed His promises. The promise that He would meet my heart's desires if I delighted myself in Him. The promise that He had a plan for my life, a good, prosperous plan. The promise that He would work all things out for the good. And the promise that He would never leave nor forsake me. I didn't know how those promises would be fulfilled, but I knew that He who promises is faithful.

And so I am leaning on that truth again. I am remembering God's faithfulness when the unknown begins to taunt me. I am remembering how He has answered my prayers, how He has provided, how He has guided my steps and made straight my paths. And I remember that unless the Lord builds it, we labor in vain. Because He holds the blueprints. He knows when the time is right. Yes, His ways are higher, His thoughts are better, and His will is perfect.

So when you can't see ahead, when the future is unknown, remember God's faithfulness and anticipate His promises. Thank Him for what He has done, and praise Him for what He will do.

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." - Hebrews 10:23

Comments

Popular Posts