we've all been there...

We've all be there. Lying flat on our backs, looking up, trying to catch our breath, and wondering if this is it. Wondering, as we sink deeper into our lowest pit, if God really has a plan at all or if we've just come to the end of our luck.

I began a new Bible study this week. My heart has desperately needed this opportunity. For some strange reason, I really thought that staying home would allow me more time to study God's word. Little did I realize, my days would be sporadic and my evenings would be void of energy. And so I entered into a dry season three months ago by my own doing. I knew this spell needed to end, and I wanted it to end soon. I received a flyer in the mail from my church months ago advertising the study, and I could hardly wait for the day to arrive. As I sat in the study, feeling a lump in my throat and refreshment in my heart, I read over a group of familiar verses that struck me in a new way.

"Then some Jews came from Antioch and Iconium and won the crowd over. They stoned Paul and dragged him outside the city, thinking he was dead. But after the disciples gathered around him, he got up and went back into the city. The next day, he and Barnabas left for Derbe." - Acts 14:19-20

Left for dead. One minute a hero, the next, lying under a pile of rocks. In the words of Beth Moore, "Those who are quick to adore you will be quick to abhor you." Of course, this became familiar territory for Paul who endured all sorts of similar situations throughout his life. But as I read these verses, I thought, "What were the disciples doing as they gathered around him?" Were they interceding on his behalf, asking God to spare his life? Were the tending to his wounds? Were they discussing how to care for his body? Where to bury him? Were they staring in shock, crying tears of anger in fear? Or were they watching and waiting in anticipation for him to get back up?

I found myself sweater shopping five years ago as I made a mental list for the things I would take to Hungary. This was the first mission trip I had been on in a couple of years. It was a Spring Break mission trip intended for college students, and although I was a few years removed from college, I knew I had to go. Something compelled me to sign up. Maybe it was the fact that I really needed to get away. Maybe it was because I was desperate for a change of perspective and needed an adventure. Or maybe it was because the Holy Spirit was working overtime in my heart, prompting me to go because God had a plan.

I had been like Paul for months. Lying under a pile of emotional rocks in so much pain, feeling as if my life was over. Hope was there, but it was dismal. I had just walked through the most devastating season in my life to date. My dreams, along with my heart and any ounce of self confidence I had, were completely shattered. And although I knew time would heal the wounds, time really seemed to have it out for me. Because, by God's strength, I had made it through the holidays. But then there was more. There was the searing pain of Valentine's Day, a holiday I've always despised but, now, hated with a passion. And then there was Spring Break. There was the middle of March, the anniversary of that day. And it was the day I dreaded the most. So I packed my bags, and I climbed on a plane to fly over seas during the middle of March. I thought I was going to help others out. I was going to serve. Little did I know, I was going because God had decided that it was time for me to get back up.

I remember waking that morning with a heart of hope and joy. Because I found myself, like Paul, surrounded by believers. Some were there physically, but many spiritually. And they prayed on my behalf. They interceded for me. They asked God to heal my wounds. They asked Him to strengthen my spirit. To give me the courage to get back and keep moving. And that night, as I laid down to rest, wonder filled my bones as I praised God for working yet another miracle out of that day.

It wasn't a surprise to God that Paul found himself beneath a pile of rocks that intended to end his life that day. And He wasn't surprised that I found myself in Eastern Europe that day, either. Because God has a plan. Before the foundations of the earth were laid, God had a plan in place for Paul's life, God had a plan for Brittnye's, and God had a plan in place for your life, too. A plan that wouldn't be thwarted by man's attempts. A plan that would not only overcome trials, perceived failures, and really difficult situations, but a plan that would use those very things for good. And not only did God have a plan in place, He had His people in place, too. Because God knew that we would need one another. He knew that we could help one another. He knew that there would be strength in numbers and that together, we could accomplish much. So that when we fell, someone would be there to help us up. And when we were being attacked, another would be there to stand with us in defense. When we felt lonely, or afraid, or in need of help, the Body would show up to be His hands and feet. And when we found ourselves burdened by the weight of the world, His people would gather around, offer up prayers, and watch and wait in eager anticipation as God, himself, would bend down from the Heavens and lift us back up.


Comments

Popular Posts