5 months in, and they're only getting better...

You're five months old today, Annabeth! We're nearly halfway through your first year of life. I'll be honest with you, these past few months have been my favorite. The first few were pretty challenging and tough, but each month somehow finds a way to beat the last as you learn, grow, and accomplish new things. You're really catching on quickly these days, and I look forward to each month with eager anticipation of what you've got up your little sleeve.

This month was a big one for you. You began eating cereal, and after I finally switched you over to oatmeal, you started enjoying it. I am certain that I enjoy watching you eat as much as you enjoy eating. You've also began babbling up a storm, which is really no surprise. You come by it honestly. Of course, the biggest accomplishment for you this month was moving into your own room and sleeping in your crib. You made the switch seamlessly, unlike your dad and I. We've been talking about moving you for quite some time, but we just couldn't bare the thought of you sleeping all alone on the other side of the house. We don't have a large home, but it feels like you're all the way down the block. Not only do we have a monitor so that we can see you on our phones, we bought back-up walkie talkie monitors just in case. I told your dad that there would never be an easy time to move you into your own bedroom. He tried his best to talk me into moving your crib into the corner of our bedroom, but I told him the longer we waited, the harder it would be. He understood, and as we laid you down in your own bed the first night, a bittersweet feeling washed over me. I was so proud of you for moving into your room and sleeping in your crib, but I was also sad that I wouldn't be able to open my eyes in the middle of the night and see your precious face. I guess this is the first step of you growing up, and it was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be.

Your little personality is really starting to shine, and this month has been full of giggles and smiles. You only fuss when your tired or when I try to sit down with you in my lap. I have yet to figure that one out. I am hoping that one day you'll want to sit in my lap or snuggle with me. You may not be a touchy feely person, so I am taking advantage of the fact that you can't escape from me and smothering you with kisses and hugs while I can. I believe your face receives an average of about 500 kisses a day. I can't help myself. You're so sweet that I could eat you up. I won't, don't worry. But the more you smile, the more kisses you get, so you're really just doing it to yourself. I think you kind of like it.

I also came to the realization today that I have not worked for 5 months. That is the longest I have ever been off of a payroll. It seems like just the other day I was sitting in my office answering emails and working on projects, and now I bet everything has changed. That's the thing about work, Annabeth. It never ends and it always changes. And although I really struggled with the idea of not going back at first, I can confidently say that staying home with you has absolutely been the right decision for our family. I have more joy in my days of being with you than I ever had in the workforce. It was an adjustment, I'll admit that. The first three months, I thought I was going to go stir crazy. Once Christmas was over, I knew something had to change. The beauty of living close to family is that your grandparents were more than willing to step in and help me out, and I just have to tell you, if there is one thing that I've loved watching develop over the past 5 months of your life, it's the love your Grampy has for you.

Your Grampy used to say, "The only kids I like are my own." He also told me that he was ready for me to have a baby so he could have Scout. (Which, by the way, was only going to happen over my dead body. Really, she's willed to him.) But I get where he's coming from. There's nothing like the love a parent has for their child. Other kids may be cute, some are far from it, but when it comes to your own kid, well, you can't help but be madly in love with them. Anyway, he wasn't really sure how he'd feel about grandchildren. His sister warned him that you'd soon have him wrapped around your little finger, but it's hard to know such feelings when you've never experienced them. I still remember the night you were born, tiny little gal you were, and he came up to see you. I'm not sure he was totally convinced of your powers at the time, but a few months later he volunteered to come hang out with you a couple of days a week so I could go to the gym. It's been two months now, and I think it's safe to say that you've won him over. You start and end your week with Grampy, and he is a fantastic babysitter. He makes you giggle and laugh, he sings you silly songs, he takes you on tours of the house during your fussy moments, and just to show you what a kind man he is, he makes sure to bring Scout treats each time so she feels just as loved as you.

Annabeth, we are so blessed to have you, but I've got be honest girl, you're very blessed, too. You have a whole family full of people who are crazy about you. People who eagerly (almost a little too much at times) give of their time to love on you. People who are completely captivated by you and can't wait to see you. It used to be Scout, but you've stolen the limelight and you're running the show! I wish all little girls had a family like that, but this isn't the case. This is the exception, and I just thank the Lord every day that He has surrounded you with so many great people who will teach you great things, fill your days with sweet memories, and leave lasting impressions on your life. Because you have a little bit of each one of them in you. You've got their DNA swirling around in your veins, but more than that you have their prayers. Prayers that have been flowing since the day we knew you existed, and prayers that will echo throughout eternity. For a girl whose only experienced 5 months of life thus far, I'd say they've been a real success, and they'll only get better from here!

Comments

Popular Posts