Reason #720

I wake up late every morning because I go to bed late every night. I've learned how to get ready quickly, and I have come to understand why the majority of girls with long hair always wear it pulled back. I used to think, "If I had long hair, I'd never pull it up. I'd curl it every day." Well, when you have about 30 minutes to get ready from start to finish, the pony tail proves to be most convenient. Anyway, it goes without saying, mornings are not my thing. This morning, as I was getting out of my car, I held a cup of milk in one hand and reached down to look the car door with the other. I don't know what I was doing, obviously not thinking, and somehow I dropped the cup of milk which splattered all over the parking lot and covered my shoes. It was that kind of morning. A morning in which my taste buds would be denied a comforting cup of chai as I walked away from the puddle of milk.

Well, that's no way to start out a day, but it could be worse. And, really, today is a little milestone celebration as today marks the second anniversary of my blog! Two whole years, but truthfully, it seems like it has been longer. It almost feels like it has been my whole life. Sometimes I think I should have added another little daily challenge in, like pushups and crunches, and I'd be one healthy gal. However, I did a little searching to see what a traditional second anniversary gift would be, and the answer was...cotton! I suppose it is fitting that I am laying in bed under cotton sheets to celebrate this little milestone. Crunches and push ups just wouldn't have been as fitting of a celebration.

I'll be honest, I wondered what would happen when I started this blog. I didn't doubt that I would reach my goal, but I really wondered what I would write about. Obviously, I had hopes that the subject of my writing would change with time, and it did. But there was a part of me that kind of hoped big things would happen on the "big days." I wondered what would happen when I made it to 100, to 500, to one year, to two years. I figured that maybe the Lord would have some really incredible things happen on those days. Maybe those days would be extra divine, you know, and it'd be a cool story to share. But those days have been regular days, just like pretty much every other day, and the "big things" happened in no particular, predicted pattern,

I was a part of a prison ministry the summer after my freshman year in college. We would travel to different prisons all over Texas and Oklahoma and have little worship services each night. It was totally old school, and we had to wear these matching outfits that I didn't like one bit, but it was one of the best experiences of my life. The director of the group, Joe, would sing this song every night, and I'll remember the words of the chorus for the rest of my life.

One day at a time sweet Jesus
That's all I'm asking from you.
Just give me the strength
To do everyday what I have to do.
Yesterday's gone sweet Jesus
And tomorrow may never be mine.
Lord help me today, show me the way
One day at a time.
 
 
Two years, and I have tried to take it one day at a time. Two years of counting off every night in anticipation of what God was doing in my life. Two years eagerly waiting to see what He had in store. Two years ago, this was my nightly prayer. God, just give me the strength to make it through another day. And that day would pass and I'd pray for the same thing the next day. One day at a time. Yet I really do believe there is such beauty in living life one day at a time. Because when you spin your wheels worrying about tomorrow, it robs today of joy. When you're too concerned about what might happen, could happen, should happen, won't happen, and when it will all take place, it's hard to enjoy where you are. And all that worry, all of those thoughts and expectations and ideas just end up leaving you frustrated and disappointed. Because the truth is, it all happens one day at a time.
 
And so I am thankful for two years of days. For the hard days, the sad days, the really difficult and depressing days. Because as I made it through each one of those days I began to experience days of joy, excitement, happiness, peace, restoration and blessing. One day at a time. 720 days later, another day down, and I still look forward with anticipation to what lies in the days ahead.
 
#720 - For each day!
 
"I will praise you every day; yes, I will praise you forever." - Psalm 145:2

Comments

Popular Posts