Reason #733

Some days, most days, I read the news and my heart hurts for America. I find myself wishing I could have been born about 70 years ago, yet I recall that things weren't perfect then, either. But maybe they were looking up. You know, there was a dream to be achieved. Better days were ahead. I could be completely wrong here. Maybe it's just that I'm now old enough to understand what is going on in the world. I'm old enough that I'm not as sheltered by the heavy impacts as I was before. Because I read the news, and it hardly looks good. Where do we go from here? Do better days lie ahead? I sure hope so.

I looked through some pictures of a Holocaust camp tonight, and I felt sick to my stomach. Rows of barbed wire surrounded empty, cold buildings. Bricked buildings with concrete floors that temporarily housed millions of people awaiting for rescue. People who did nothing wrong. People whose lives were cut short simply because of evil intentions. And as I looked through these pictures, the fact that this was a real place, that millions of lives were ended right there, hit hard. I felt strange, almost disrespectful, for viewing such photos from the comfort and safety of my home. And my heart was filled with sorrow and pain as I tried to fathom the fear, the anxiety, the terror, and horror of being shoved down the path that led to destruction.

I struggle with educating myself on history and world matters because it strikes fear in my heart. Fear that history will repeat itself. Fear that the years past may be as good as it gets in my lifetime. Fear for not only my future but the future of my potential children. And my heart is heavy because I just wish that everyone knew, loved, and chose to obey the Lord. That'd be so beneficial for us all now as well as the rest of eternity.

Well, the truth is, we weren't made to live for this life. Because if that's what we are doing, simply being concerned about our days on this earth, we'll be in for a big surprise when those come to an end. And the Lord has our days numbered regardless of what other things are going on, doesn't He? So in the end, it's really up to Him. Because this life is temporary. It won't last forever. The things we go through, good or bad, will come to an end eventually. And thankfully, He has gone to prepare a place for us when our time here is over, and we can be assured that it will only go up from here.

#733 - Because we can live our lives knowing the living doesn't stop here.

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." - John 14:1-3

Comments

Popular Posts