Reason #729

I have not slept well this week. Every night has been full of tossing and turning. Usually, once I am asleep I stay asleep. Not this week. I made my way to the couch the other night thinking that maybe a change of scenery would help me fall back asleep. It was about 4:00AM, and I had been lying awake in bed for who knows how long. I laid on the couch, eyes shut tight, and I willed myself to go to sleep. I tried to think sleepy thoughts. I tried slow breathing and deep concentration, and that got me no where. I counted the ticks of the second hand on the clock and hoped the heater would kick on so that it would cover the annoying sound of ticking. Yet as I laid there, trying my best to clear my mind so I could get some rest, a song kept playing through my head over and over and over again. I thought I would never go to sleep, and the next thing I knew, my alarm was going off.

I woke up and I tried my hardest to remember the words to the song that was stuck in my head. I wondered if it was a real song or if I was just thinking up random words to some unknown tune. The only word I could remember was 'maker.' Maker? I wondered why that word of all words would be stuck in my mind.

Dictionary.com listed 5 definitions for maker. The third definition of maker was simple. It was the best definition, the most applicable one, I thought. Maker: God. That's it. He is a maker. The Maker. Job 35:10 says, "Where is my maker, who gives songs in the night...?" The maker of songs for the sleepless.

It's frustrating to be awake when the rest of the world is asleep. To have your eyes wide open when you so desperately want to be dreaming. It's frustrating to lay in the darkness, in the quiet, and be unable the accomplish such an easy and necessary task. But in the dark, quiet, still of the night, our Maker is with us. God Almighty, keeping us company when we can't sleep. Filling our empty minds with His presence to remind us that no matter if we are awake of asleep, He is always near.

#729 - Because He keeps us company even on sleepless nights.

"I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me." - Psalm 3:5

Comments

Popular Posts