Reason #730

Every Friday afternoon, Aaron and I discuss what we want to do for the evening. It's like there's this imagined pressure leading us to feel that we must go out and do something. Celebrate the weekend, I guess. And every Friday afternoon, we both say the same thing. "Let's just stay home and relax." Because by the end of the week, the thing that sounds the absolute best is sleep. Sleep and wearing sweatpants.

Aaron was supposed to go out of town today, but his flight got cancelled due to weather. Of course, I don't know why since he wasn't flying north. Anyway, I had planned for him to be gone, which meant cereal and milk for dinner. I keep no extra groceries in the house, aside from the essentials, so breakfast foods are the only thing we have to resort to when I don't cook. Since he was home, we decided we'd go out to eat dinner. One sure fire way to tell you're getting older and no longer playing the dating game is that you rush home from work so you can beat the crowds to dinner. Who cares what you look like. All you care about is not having to wait for a table longer than 15 minutes. Even that has almost become too long of a wait in our book, but we waited it out tonight. We scarfed down a basket and a half of chips, placed our order as quickly as the waiter would take it, and we were home and in our pajamas by 7:00PM.

It has been a long week, and I am tired. Who am I kidding, we're all tired. And on weekend nights, I am so thankful for a break. I love going to bed knowing that I'll get to sleep in the next day. I love the fact that I don't have to set an alarm or wake up before the sun. And I really, really love having someone to do nothing with. Someone who will watch TV reruns with me when my energy is gone. Someone who will accept me putting on pajamas hours before I actually go to sleep. I am thankful to have a dinner date every Friday night, regardless of where or what we eat. A built in friend who keeps me company, listens to my pointless work stories, and will just hang out with me no matter what we are or aren't doing.

This is what I love about marriage. You always have someone. You're done with the whole seeking, searching, and wondering part of life, and (hopefully) that part of the unknown is over. You don't have to do things on your own, unless you really want to. And, when you have to go do the things you don't want to do, you've got someone who will go with you. It's comforting to know, and I mean to absolutely, with all certainty know, that this is it. The rest of your life includes them regardless of who else may come or go.

Christ and the church. Same thing. Together forever. He came so that she wouldn't have to be alone. He came so that she didn't have to walk through the tough stuff by herself. He came to love her, to be her friend, to pursue her and captivate her. And he accepted her, flaws and all, because His love for her went deeper than what could be seen from the outside. He saw what was within, who she would become. He saw her potential, and He claimed her as His own forever. He found her, at just the right time, and He committed to her whole heartedly so that she would never have to worry. He committed to her so that she didn't have to live in fear or anxiety. He committed to her so that she didn't have to live without Him.

And so I am thankful for that. Thankful that I don't have to live life alone, ever. Thankful for a husband who is always by my side, and thankful for a God who has never left it.

#730 - For a husband who is always by my side and for a God who has never left it.

"Praise be to the Lord, who has given rest to his people Israel just as he promised. Not one word has failed of all the good promises he gave through his servant Moses. May the Lord our God be with us as he was with our ancestors; may he never leave us nor forsake us." - 1 Kings 8:56-57

Comments

Popular Posts