Reason #544

We've been getting a ton of rain. I have no idea how much, but definitely enough to make a difference. I am sure people who live in a place that gets a lot of rain wish it away, but I don't think I'd ever get tired of the rain. I'm sure I'll never be in the situation to test that theory, so I'm always more than thankful, like every other West Texan, for any amount of rain fall.

One of my favorite things about storms is that you can figuratively interpret them in a million different ways, and you can use them for all sorts of analogies. Storms can be scary, they can be lovely, the can be much needed, or they can be damaging. Storms can be helpful, they can be hurtful, they can signify darkness or relief. Truthfully, it just depends on the type of storm.

The last time I remember it really raining a whole, whole lot was on our wedding day. Of course, that was just 2 months ago, so that's not that hard to remember. But I'll definitely remember that for the rest of my life. And that day, right after I finished getting my make-up done, my cousin, Meghan, sent me a text that said, "I know no one wants rain on their wedding day but I think the symbolism is just perfect. Rain brings life back into things that were withered and dry. God is showering you with blessings and breathing life into this new journey you are about to take." And she was right. He most definitely was. And so it's been about two months since we've had a really, really good rain, and we were in need for a good rain shower. Things were getting thirsty, dryness was creeping its way in, and it was time for the rain to come wash and revive.

Living in the almost dessert, you learn to appreciate the rain when it comes. You realize that those moments are precious and shouldn't be taken for granted, even if it is on your wedding day. You also know that the rain will leave shortly and won't come back for a while. That you're going to have to learn to survive in the heat and the wind. Somehow, you're going to have to get through a dry time. And you have to hang on. You have to learn to adapt and find other resources because sometimes that very time in between can last for a really, really long time. And who knows when that will end. All we know is that it will end.

So I found encouragement today as I drove to work in the pouring rain. Most of all I thanked the Lord that He always takes care of His people. He sees us, He never forgets about us, and He knows when we need rain. He knows when things are dry and we are in a drought, He knows when our resources are running low and we are barely hanging on. He is aware that cracks are forming and the heat is rising. And God is faithful to provide. He may make us wait a bit before He sends another shower, but how much more refreshing it is when it comes. And we realize that during that shower, we must soak up everything. Because we need to be nourished, we need to be refreshed, and we need to be reminded of God's blessings and goodness.

#544 - Because He sends showers to revive, refresh, and restore us.

"As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." - Isaiah 55:10-11

“You heavens above, rain down my righteousness; let the clouds shower it down. Let the earth open wide, let salvation spring up, let righteousness flourish with it; I, the Lord, have created it." - Isaiah 45:8

Comments

Popular Posts