Reason #549

I have a boat load of laundry that needs to be ironed. I absolutely hate ironing, which is why I have so many clothes that need to be ironed. I take them out of the washer, hang them to dry, and then throw them into the “ironing basket,” which means they sit there for weeks on end. And occasionally, I have clothes in my closet that need to be ironed. Clothes that I haven’t worn in forever because I keep forgetting to iron them… because I hate ironing. You see where I’m going with this. And so I look at that ironing basket and I feel overwhelmed. There are just too many articles of clothing in there and I don’t have enough time to get through them all. And because of this, I just leave them. I don’t even try to accomplish one or two, or even the ones already in my closet. I just let perfectly good clothes go unworn simply because I dislike ironing and there are too many to even get started.
 
There are a lot of things I’d do differently if I had more time. I’d work out, go to bed earlier so I could get up earlier, keep my house cleaner, my clothes wrinkle-free, cook better meals, read, and keep my toes painted. But there just aren’t enough hours in the day to do so. At least, I haven’t figured out how to accomplish all those things with the hours I do have. I’m kind of an all or nothing gal, which can be a benefit yet it can also be my downfall. Because if I can’t do it all in one setting, I just put it off until I can rather that working on it piece by piece until something is finished. In the laundry’s case, that’s never. But if I stayed on top of it, it wouldn't seem so bad. If I did bits and pieces I'd at least accomplish something rather than absolutely nothing.
 
This is something I've really been struggling with lately. I've had a hard time finding a productive routine and letting it prevail. And this morning, I read a devotional about this very subject. About how we don't have to conquer the world in one setting. Rome wasn't built in a day, as the saying goes. We just need to take it one piece at a time. Do what we can, when we can. Don't procrastinate and keep putting everything off until tomorrow so that you can put it off one more day. Be efficient, be productive, and be a diligent worker.
 
I think this plays out in every aspect of life. Usually, we are pretty consistent in how we handle things in our personal, spiritual, work, and home life. And, as most women do, we look to Proverbs 31 to find guidance. This sister was on the ball. She worked diligently, she wasn't idle, she did sit around and let things go undone or even have someone else do them for her. She was virtuous, capable, trusted and a helpmate. She stayed busy, wasn't lazy, helped provide and met needs. She managed her money, her family, and her time well. She was energetic, strong, and a hard worker. She was wise and resourceful, and she served others, too. She wasn't fearful but confident, and she kept a good reputation. She was an entrepreneur who sought out opportunities, and she was dignified. A kind, respected, and intelligent woman who was beautiful, admired, blessed and appreciated for all of those very things. And that's the kind of woman I want to be. I will admit that I did find similarity with her in verse 18, " She watches for bargains; her lights burn late into the night."  That's about it right now. And although this, too, is one of those things that seems so overwhelming I don't even know where to start, I realize that it's a step at a time. I'm sure that's how Proverbs 31 sister learned to become all of these things. One step at a time.  
 
Fortunately, and hopefully, I've got a lot of time ahead of me to learn these things and practice them. I've just got to actually start doing them before life gets away from me. And maybe, you, too feel the same way about something in your life. Maybe it's your health, your finances, your home life, work life, or even your walk with the Lord. Maybe you want to do better, be better, and stop putting things off until tomorrow. So just stop. Stop putting it off and start somewhere. Iron a shirt, take a walk, eat a carrot, say a prayer. Just do something. That's my tactic right now. The Lord blesses our efforts, and if we commit them to Him and serve Him as we stop doing nothing and start doing something, I think we'll find that somehow we are able to be a lot more productive than we initially thought possible.
 
#549 - Because He blesses our efforts every step of the way, even if they are small steps.
 
"Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised. Reward her for all she has done. Let her deeds publicly declare her praise." - Proverbs 31:30-31

Comments

Popular Posts