Reason #547

Aaron and I spent our evening at Main Event. We bowled, played glow in the dark mini golf, a never-ending billiards game, and ended with shuffleboard. You know, when you get married, you kind of forget about dating, right? You live together, after all. You see each other every night and every morning. And so because you do pretty much everything together, you forget about actual dates. But before you were Mr. & Mrs. you went out of your way to have fun. Events were created, evenings were planned, and you made a point to do really special, out of the ordinary things. And so although we are just a few months into marriage, Aaron and I have realized this. Upon realizing this, we also realized that we've realized this before and just forgot to do something about it. And so tonight we went out of our way to have fun and do something out of the ordinary.

One year ago today, I went to see Batman with a group of my friends. My sweet, new friends that I had just gotten to know. The Lord was so gracious to flood my life with a whole lot of encouraging and fun people, and so we would hang out quite a bit. It also just so happened that one year ago tonight, Aaron went out to dinner with a group of his co-workers. Fortunately, two of those co-workers are related to me. And, as all married people do, they began trying to set Aaron up with the girls at the restaurant. "Hey, go talk to that girl. Hey, what do you think about her?" And after a refusal to act on Aaron's part, they began to probe. "So what are you looking for exactly? What is your "type?" And as Aaron began to describe his type, my name came up in conversation.

All summer long I had been talking to my mom about relationships. I wondered and worried how in the world I would ever meet someone. I knew no single guys, nor did I know how to even meet them. After all, I was far removed from the dating scene. Plus, it's hard to find single people that are like you when there's really not a gathering place for them. But my mom, who has great faith, kept reminding me that the Lord work would it out. In fact, I remember that she even said, "You never know. Someone that you know might know someone that they think is perfect for you and that's how you'll meet." Sure, I thought. And then she followed it up with saying, "I don't know how it will happen, but I just have this feeling that the one the Lord has intended for you is not too far off."

Batman was coming to an end and my cousin texted me to set up a date with Aaron. I had been offered a few "matching making" opportunities up to this point but was never brave enough to actually take them. I finally thought, "what do I have to lose?" Well, you know the rest of the story.

And tonight as Aaron and I walked through Main Event, we talked about this. Because this time last year, I had absolutely no idea I was going to be meeting my husband within 48 hours. At that point, I felt like life was so good it couldn't possibly get any better. I was wrong. I didn't imagine that in a year, I'd be living life as Mrs. Davis. I didn't know this what was God had in store, and, to be honest, I never really though I'd have this kind of opportunity.

I saw this quote on Facebook last week, and I think it makes a good point. "Until Jesus Christ is the obsession of your heart, you will always be looking to mere men to meet the needs that He can fill. Only when you make Jesus Christ your first love, will you be ready for a love story that reflects His glory." Truth.  And the more time I spend with Aaron, the more I understand this. Because no one fulfills us like Jesus. I have a great time with Aaron, and I love him more than I thought I could ever love someone I didn't share similar DNA with. And while it's easy to expect fulfillment from him, it's unfair and unrealistic. Because he can never meet my needs like the Lord can, and he isn't supposed to. Our story is to reflect that of Christ, not be identical. And until we truly learn what love is, it's hard to really love. Take it from a girl who has learned it the hard way. And so I'm thankful that God knocked me off my feet, thus causing me fall in love with Him. I'm thankful that I came to that point so I could learn love, experience love, and really understand what love is and looks like. Not that this is how it's always done, but for me, this was the way it had to happen. Because only then could I have room for Aaron. Only then could I truly appreciate him. And only then was I actually prepared for him.

Sometimes Aaron and I talk about what it would have been like had we met in college. Would we have talked, would he have actually pursued me? Would I have given him the time of day? Would it have worked out? I don't know, and I never will. But it doesn't matter anymore because the day came when it was supposed to. At the right time, a divinely appointed time, when we were both ready and both falling in love with the Lord unlike we ever had before, we met. Without an expectation of a future or pressure to perform, it just happened like He had planned. From last July 20th to this one, who would have thought?! Certainly not us. But thankfully we serve a God who was ready for a new story to begin, and we hope and pray that every day we can somehow reflect His glory.

#547 - Because of a God who fulfills our longings, meets our needs, and creates beautiful love stories.

"Cause me to understand the way of your precepts, that I may meditate on your wonderful deeds." - Psalm 119:27

Comments

Popular Posts