Reason #888

I like surprises. Good surprises. The kind of surprises that you really didn't see coming. I don't like anticipating a surprise, and I certainly don't ruin them if I can keep from it. Nothing is worse than spoiling a surprise for yourself or someone else. I've been on both sides of that equation, and it's no fun. There's nothing quite like being genuinely, authentically, surprised with something good, something completely unexpected. And I have come to see, more than once, that God is definitely into the business of surprises.

You never end up where you imagined, at least I haven't. My life has been packed full of the unexpected even though I'd tried my best to plan it. But when we plan, we don't leave room for error. When we plan, we plan as if all will go well. But sometimes we're surprised, both good and bad. Sometimes, often, we forget to account for the potential kinks that inevitably end up in our plans. For the unseen, the unknown, and really, for the surprises.

But they're there. We wake up every morning to a potential surprise. We live out our day having no idea what we will encounter. We don't know what bit of good news we might receive, whose path we will cross, or what prayer will be answered. And, honestly, that's the best way to live. Surprised. Live without a plan, or at least a definite one. Give God the ability to work and move on your behalf rather than confining Him and giving Him limits. Let Him surprise you with His goodness. Don't give up on His timing or His ability to bless you beyond belief.

I remember the day my cousin asked me if I'd be interested in meeting Aaron. I wasn't expecting it. In fact, I hadn't even mentioned the fact that I was considering the option of dating at that point. I had my day planned out, and I was watching Batman with a group of friends when she contacted me. It was a total surprise. Aaron, himself, was a total surprise. And when I look back at my life, when I think about all of the good things God has blessed me with, each one has been a surprise. All of them, unplanned. None of them were even imagined. I didn't force them to happen or seek the opportunities out. I didn't even expect them. And when I quit relying on my own abilities to get the ball rolling, when I just trusted the Lord and let Him do what He thought was best for me, I was surprised. Every time.

Be surprised, but don't be surprised. Don't be surprised when God meets your needs and your heart's desire. He loves you, He cares about you, and so don't be surprised by His goodness. But let Him do it for you. Let Him chart the course, guide you down it, and just enjoy whatever it is He has in store for you. Sure, you have no idea what it is, but you can rest in knowing it will be for your good. And until then, just keep living. Keep seeking Him, keep praying about it, and keep your eyes on Him. You just never know what He'll surprise you with or when.

#888 - Because He is full of good surprises!

"Let all that I am praise the Lord; may I never forget the good things he does for me." - Psalm 103:2

Comments

Popular Posts