Reason #892

I went on a walk with Scout tonight, and it was pretty late. We got home from a wedding about 9:00PM, and after eating an unreasonable amount of cake, a walk seemed like the best way to settle a full stomach. The sun had already set, but it was light enough that I could see. We walk the neighborhood almost every night, and I felt safe enough for the two of us to venture out on our own. Of course, you never know what you'll encounter on a walk, so you always have to be prepared.

Scout's pretty helpless. Obviously, she can't protect herself. Both of us are pretty wary of dogs, and especially when they're large. Every dog owner believes that their dog is nice and harmless. Why would you own a dog that's not? And so a lot of people let their dogs hang out in the yard without a leash. Scout will probably never get the chance to be leashless outside, and for a good reason, too. Anyway, we were on our way back home and I had my eyes peeled for loose dogs. I saw two guys at the end of the block with dogs by their sides. I couldn't tell if the dogs were on a leash, and so I decided to turn early and head up the next block. As soon as I turned, I saw another dog in the yard with its family. I hoped it wouldn't notice Scout as we walked by on the other side of the street, but it did. It ran across the street, and I scooped Scout up in my arms. I fully expected to hear the owner call his dog back, but he didn't. The dog kept following us, so the man slowly poked his way across the street, told the dog to go back to the yard, and I was thankful that it obeyed him.

I have had to learn to be brave over the past few years. I've been pushed out of my comfort zone further than I would have ever liked, but I've survived. It is easier to be brave when you have no option. When you're the one that has to protect, well, you just have to do it. And, from Scout's perspective, I am sure it's easier for her to let someone else be the brave one. She knows she is safe with me, and if something happens to her, it's going to have to happen to the both of us. Although I'm far from fearless, I'll go to great strides to make sure Scout stays unharmed. Even if it means I'd have to face a big, ferocious dog on my own, I'd do it for her.

It's easy to be scared, and it's hard to be brave. Truthfully, being brave is tough. There are those naturally brave people, or at least they seem to be that way, but they have their moments I am sure. They have fears even if they don't let on. It may not be of the dark, of big dogs, or of spiders, but they have moments of fear. And fear is an uncomfortable place to be. Fear can require much of you. But that's what I love about the Lord. He isn't scared. He created it all, knows how everything works, and He has no fear. He is our protector. The one who has his eyes peeled, watching on our behalf. Because sin is roaming. It's not chained up, it's not bound, it's loose, it's looking, and it notices us when we walk by. It's crosses the street, chases us down, yet the Lord is near. He stays close by. Scooping us up to safety, reassuring us that we'll be okay. And I am grateful that we have a set of eyes always looking out for us, a love willing to step in and rescue us, and a God who will carry us through the dangerous situations. Even when we walk through the valley of shadows, when it's dark and scary and every step is threatened, our Good Shepherd is close by to protect us, comfort us, and lead us to the peaceful, still waters.

#892 - Because our Protector is fearless.

"Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me.Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me." - Psalm 23:4

Comments

Popular Posts