Reason #918

I haven't written about Scout in a while. These days, I just take a lot of pictures of her. I haven't counted, but I feel confident that well over half of the pictures on my phone are of Scout. She is quite photogenic, if I must say so myself. Plus, she always seems to set herself up for a photo op. Either that or I'm just slightly obsessed.

I'll always give a disclaimer before I tell people about Scout so that they know how I feel about her. I'm the crazy pet parent. Really, I sometimes think of her as little furry person. It's amazing how much people and animals can connect. It doesn't take long, either. These little critters grab ahold of your heart in no time, and the next thing you know, you're wrapped around their little paw. But pets don't stay around forever, and so I figure it's best to spoil them and love on them while you can.

I told one of my co-workers about Scout today. I also made sure to show her a picture. I'm am so proud of Scout, so I love showing her off. Any chance I get to tell a dog story, I will. Now, I don't want to be one of those weird people who only talk about their pets, so I wait until someone else asks or mentions their pet before bringing her up. But I am always proud to talk about, and show off, Scout because I feel like I've molded her into the sweet girl she is today. I've invested, and continue to invest, so much time and energy in her and so I am really proud of where she is. From being the scared little puppy who hid in the back of her kennel the first night I got her to the smart, friendly, lively dog who can do three tricks and walk on a leash like a champ, I've watched her grow and develop, and I'm really proud of who she has become.

I think the Lord feels the same way about us, don't you? But the thing is, we get down on ourselves so often, feeling like we can never be enough. We look at the other people around us and it just seems like they're doing so much better at this life thing than we are. You know, they're really making a difference. They've really grown a come a long way and here we are doing the same thing. We feel like we're so insignificant in comparison. They look like they have it together, and we are certain they could show us up at a moment's notice. And, if we're really being honest, we feel like maybe we could have done more or could be doing more. Like maybe the Lord is really disappointed where we are because He had higher hopes and aspirations for us. We had higher hopes and aspirations for ourselves. And we wonder how He could look at us and really be pleased with us. How could He be proud of us?

But He has seen us from the start. He has seen every roadblock, setback, failure, and mishap. He has seen every victory and success, too. He has watched our entire lives, every single second, and He has seen how far we've come. From being helpless little babies who knew nothing to adults who know a lot. From being broken and hurting to healed and redeemed. And if you're His child, He has had a HUGE hand in it all. In molding you and shaping you to the person you are today. And He is proud of you, of who you've become. Sure, you could always do more and be more and achieve more, but that won't make Him love you more. If Scout only knows 3 tricks for the rest of her life, or if she learns 10 more, I'm going to love her the same. Because it's not about what Scout can do. It's not about what we can do, either. The truth is, we can't do anything to deserve God's love. He doesn't love us because we're better or faster or stronger or smarter. It has nothing to do with your looks or your money or your talents or abilities. It's because you are His. You have chosen to follow after Him, to live your life in fellowship with Him, and that is why He loves you.

At the end of every day, Scout snuggles in my arms as I write my blog. Really, that's what I love the most. Sure, I am proud of her when she "sits, lays, and spins." I am proud of her when I pick her up from the groomer's and she looks cute as a button. But there is nothing quite like having her little warm body snuggled up next to me. And did it ever occur to you that what the Lord loves most about you is your time? Is having your attention and your affection, your admiration and adoration? It's not about what you can do. It's because you are His, and, child, He's proud of who you have become.

#918 - Because I am His child.

"See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!" - 1 John 3:1

Comments

Popular Posts