Reason #916

Well it is only Tuesday, and my energy is gone. I have made it to work by 8:00AM both days this week, and while that might not seem like much of a feat, it certainly is for me. I've been lucky to work for really lenient people, so my mornings have been flexible. I figured I better set a good example now, so I am trying my best to get off to a good start. Anyway, my brain is full of all sorts of things, and I am certainly looking forward to being past the learning curve.

I am so type-A that sometimes it is to my detriment. Sometimes I let myself get a little overwhelmed just thinking about things. Because I am a planner and an organizer, I can't stand chaos for long periods of time. And so I like to figure everything out ASAP, which is why I have a list of a million questions to ask my boss tomorrow. I did warn him of my ways, so I hope he won't think I'm too crazy or overzealous. The good thing is that he will certainly know I've not wasted my first two days on the job.

I don't particularly like questions without clear cut answers. I think of everything in black and white, and so I like to give concrete answers. That's probably why I am a numbers girl and love policies and rules. Nothing quite stresses me out like those personal questionnaires with questions like "What is your favorite movie?" A normal brain says, "That's easy. Cinderella." My brain goes into overdrive. I start thinking through every single movie I've ever seen and I rank them from best to worst. Then, feeling too overwhelmed by the fact that I have to pick just one, I decide to list the type of movies I like. Because I can't decide on just one, and I want to be sure that if I tell you it is my favorite movie, then it really is my favorite movie. Yet I know that when I write one down and turn the questionnaire in, I'll instantly think of another movie that I like more, and I'll be really bothered by the fact that I wrote down a movie that, technically, isn't my favorite. As if anyone really cares, right? But I do. I want to be sure I am giving the best, most accurate answer. I don't like giving an answer unless I am absolutely certain of my response. After all, those are the types of answers I like to receive.

Giving an answer isn't always the thing that I find hardest. I can come up with some sort of reply. Yet being asked the same question over and over after I've already given an answer really challenges my patience. I'm sure this is a skill I need to really work on before having children, and I realize it is a double standard in my life. Because I find myself doing this with the Lord. I come to Him with so many questions, and yet sometimes I keep asking the same one over and over and over again even though I have received a response. Why? Well, I may not like the answer or He may not be as quick to answer as I'd like. And sometimes, I can't really tell what the answer is. I have confused my thoughts with my prayers, and I have a hard time telling the difference between the two? And so I keep asking, and sometimes relentlessly. I also have this super long list with question after question that I want an instant response to. I want a clear cut answer with dates and steps to follow to get there. I want Him to narrow down my options and just tell me exactly what to do so that I don't have to work through it or be patient. Yet, I have found that no matter how many questions I ask, God has been faithful to answer them. He has yet to lose His patience with me or turn away His ear from me. But, I suppose if you really stop to think about it, questions help us know we're headed in the right direction. How do we know we are where God wants us to be, doing what He desires for us to do, if we never ask Him? Sure, He can make that clear to us in a million different ways, but sometimes asking is just the easiest. "Lord, is this where you want me? Is this what you want me to do? Is this something I should pursue? Lord, will you help me?"

And so that's my question. My prayer. "Lord, will you help me?" I already know the answer, thank goodness, but I'll ask anyway. Why? Because I need it. We both know I do. And so ask Him. Whatever it is, whatever is on your heart, whatever you need, ask Him. He'll answer you, you just have to listen for it. And when He answers you, however it may be, you can rest assured that it's the best, most thought out, accurate answer. A certain response from a loving God.

#916 - Because He has the answers for our questions.

"Three days later they finally discovered him in the Temple, sitting among the religious teachers, listening to them and asking questions. All who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers." - Luke 2:46-47

Comments

Popular Posts