Reason #992

Today is my mom's birthday. I'm always grateful for another year with her. She has always been my cheerleader and best gal pal, and I couldn't imagine life without her. I know not every girl has the same kind of mother/daughter relationship that my mom and I have, but I wish they did. The mother/daughter relationship can be a beautiful thing, and it's definitely something that I don't take for granted. Moms are super special people. They have a love that runs deep for their children, and I am always amazed at the great lengths a mother will go to in order to show that love.

I had the day off from work today. It's Columbus Day, and although I don't know why that should constitute a day off from work, I'll take it. I planned on using the day to get caught up on my personal life, and I made a little progress. There are still a lot of things I need to do, but they're not going anywhere so I'll get them done eventually. Anyway, I ran by the nail salon to get my fingernails done, and I sat next to a mother/daughter duo who were having a girls' day. The mother was having a hard time choosing the color of nail polish she wanted, and so she asked for her daughter's opinion. Her daughter said, "Well, I don't really care for that color but it doesn't matter. You're going to be the one looking at it every day, so if you like it, get it." And while I agreed with her answer, I found it a little harsh. I figured a "Oh yea, that's a great color! I think that will good on your hands." answer would have sufficed since nail polish colors aren't a matter of life and death. The mother asked the nail tech's opinion on the color, and he agreed that it was a good color choice. The truth is, no one was really all that concerned about the mother's choice of finger nail polish besides her. But as women, we just want support. Really, we'd just like to know that someone cares. Especially, someone we love.

The daughter began looking through nail polish colors for herself. She was determined she was going to pick a navy colored polish, so she landed on one that changes color depending on your body temperature. It's was like mood ring nail polish. Anyway, she was a little upset about the fact that the color was going to change, but she decided she'd just deal with it. Her mother got up and went to look at the other colors to see if maybe they had another blue shade her daughter would like. Again, no one really cared what color of nail polish the daughter picked out, but her mother wanted her to have the exact color she desired. She began looking at the display of colors, and the daughter said, loudly in a rude tone, "Mom, sit down. Don't worry about it. I'll just go with this color." Her voice was filled with frustration as if her mom was embarrassing her greatly. The mother kept looking, and said, "This color is navy. Would you rather use it?" The daughter replied, "Mom, just hush and sit down." I wondered why she was getting so mad at her mother and talking to her in such a disrespectful manner. After all, the daughter was at least 30 years old. I figured she'd appreciate her mother's efforts to make sure she got exactly what she wanted. A few awkward minutes passed of the daughter barking at her mom, and the nail tech decided to pull the color to read the name of it to the girl. She finally gave in and decided to go with the color her mom had picked out for her, and as the nail tech finished painting her nails, she held out her hand and said, "This is so pretty. I really like it." Who would have thought?!

Exodus 20:12 says, "Honor your father and mother." That statement made it into the 10 commandments. Clearly, God deemed in quite important for children to honor their parents, yet sometimes we forget that we're children. The truth is, no matter how old we are, we'll always be our parents' child. We'll never lose that title. And just because they're not longer an authoritative figure in our lives doesn't mean they do not still deserve to be honored. Parents are the people who gave us life. Our moms are the ones who let us take up residence in their bodies for 9 months before going through an excruciating process to get us here. They are the ones who fed us, kissed our skinned knees, rocked away the nightmares, comforted our broken hearts, believed in us even when we didn't believe in ourselves, and gave us their time, attention, and affection when they'd probably rather spend it else where. Moms never stop being moms. Even when their babies are old and grown and have babies of their own, they still want to love their children. They still want to make them happy. They desire to be there no matter what. Not because they can't let go. Not because they like being in control and want to manipulate their children. No, it's because they have this intense, unexplainable love for the people they birthed. The love of a mother is fierce and overwhelming, and anyone who is the recipient of such love should thank the Lord for that blessing.

So thanks, Mom, for always caring about me. No matter how old I am, I know that you've got my best interest at heart. Thank you for always being there to cheer me up, to laugh with me, to coach me through the difficulties in life, and to pass on your wisdom to me. Thank you for supporting me in all of the many ways you do. For reading my blog for the past 992 days and for encouraging me through the entire process. Thank you for being my friend. It's a blessing to have someone that I not only look up to, but to have someone that I can also hang out with. I most certainly wouldn't be the woman I am today without your influence in my life. Thank you for going to all sorts of lengths for me and for doing so selflessly. You really are a remarkable woman. A woman who has taught me so many things. The kind of mother that I hope to be just like one day. Because if I can be the kind of mother to my future children that you've been to me, then I'll know I have arrived! Thank you for truly being the best and for always giving your best. Another year in the books, here's to many more!

#992 - For a mother's love.

"Honor your father and mother. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the Lord your God is giving you." - Exodus 20:12

Comments

Popular Posts